Workhours comparing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Physician, currently in residency

Work hours suck, usually 60-80 hours per week logged, more in actuality to avoid logging any duty hour restrictions. I'm also in the army national guard, so on top of call every other weekend (both days), I have drill one weekend a month. So I get one weekend off per month on average.

Three weeks vacation, six holidays, and two personal days per year.

I.T. Systems Architect - 40-45 hours per week, "4 weeks vacation and all federal holidays", but on-call 24/7/365.
5 years ago I used to do 80+ when I was a systems engineer, but now that I design and build the systems there are fewer after hour calls for everyone.

Factory work Envelope adjuster I averaged 54 hrs a week the last couple of years I get 4 weeks of vacation and 9 holidays but no raises for 6 years and this is plant wide. But I don't complain I see a lot of people without work.:mug:

Current job, government, 40 hrs/wk, 4 wks paid vacation, 12 paid sick days and 12 paid holidays per year. Salaried so any extra time, call back, etc makes no difference but I'm able to informally trade it out for time off so 40 hours is realistic. Can accumulate 8 weeks worth of vacation time max (use it or lose it) and can cash out one week a year. Unlimited sick leave accrual. I can cash out all accrued vacation and up to 500 hrs of sick leave at retirement. Remaining sick leave counts as time served in my retirement plan. Earnings are stable but I'm not gonna get rich.

Last job was private sector, 60 - 80 hours a week, no paid sick days or vacation, no holidays and no retirement plan. Earnings were variable with the promise of great things to come. They never came.

I retired when 55 from the Fire Dept. I was a Battalion Chief on shift. Shifts are 24 hours on and followed by 48 hours off which works out as an average of 56 hour work week. Plenty of time off. 6 Hour Reduction Days per year, 7 floating Holidays per year, 10 Vacation Days per year (after 10 year seniority), 3 Bonus Days per year (for those with 60 shifts of sick leave accumulated). Whenever you take a shift off with the 24/48 schedule, you already have 2 days off prior and after that shift. Thus, each shift off is actually 5 calendar days away from work. All time worked beyond regular shift schedule is paid at time and a half such as if called back by pager due to emergencies requiring off duty personnel, if called back on a holiday it would be double time. If ordered into work on any holiday due to a shortage, it's paid at double time. Pretty similar hours and compensation packages throughout the Chicagoland area. Very Union Strong area also.

I'm a geologist and typically work 45 hrs. per week while doing local jobs. We travel about 60% of the year (currently out of town on week 1 of 3) and try to work 12 hrs/ day for at least 6 days/ week. Per diem is good, but not great. Holidays are 10/ year (better than the 6 I had at my last job) and vacation is poor- 5 days/ year until 3 years, which is 10 days. Pay is less than I'd like for having a Master's but my boss and coworkers are great and I like what I do. Kyle

IT Help Desk Contractor here.

40 Hours a week of work, plus an unpaid required 45 minute a day lunch break. 10 federal holidays a year paid plus 3 weeks (starting) of combined vacation/sick leave. You are required to put down 40 hours a week and no OT is allowed without prior authorization. It seems that leave without pay is not allowed until you have exhausted your vacation/sick hours and possibly go into the negative on them. If your shift falls on a holiday, you have to flex those holiday hours to another day on the same pay period.

Personally I have been here long enough they congratulated me with an extra week of vacation/sick leave hybrid time a year though only 40 hours of which can be carried forward to the next year.

Attorney (self-employed) and financial executive (as an employee for someone else). My hours are all over the board. I am basically "on call" at all waking hours but have a very flexible in-office schedule. I used to work 50 hours per week for 9 months of the year and 70+ the other 3 (when I was working as a CPA). I then worked a good 60-70 hours a week year-round (when I worked for other attorneys), but I have scaled things back to be more of a father/husband and to enjoy my life more. Funny thing is, I make more money now than when I was chained to a desk. I have more stress, but I spend less time in the office.

This week, I spent Monday at home (did some work, but didn't knock myself out) and I will work half a day Friday. I am glad I worked my tail off when I was younger to get in a position to have the flexibility I have now with a family.

EDIT: and vacation time? I guess it is unlimited. I don't really have an allotted amount of vacation from either of my "jobs". I have one planned trip I take every year for about 10 days...I spend one day of that doing essential work from my tablet. Other than that, I take days here and there when I can. I spend a lot of time camping with my family when it is warm out. It is not unusual for me to head out on those trips on a Wednesday or Thursday and come back on Sunday. But if I have work that needs to be done, the computer is always with me.

Mid-level I.T. I work from home, so have no commute. That can make a difference where I live, where the average commute is almost 2 hours / day. Monday through Friday, 8-5 with an hour lunch, no after-hours work, 30 days paid vacation, and 6 paid holidays.

Work for the railroad on call everyday of my life so whenever the phone rings I go ...sometimes I work 60 hrs sometimes I work 30 hrs every wheek is diffrent

i own a heating and air instalation company. When i was an installer, hours where all over the place. It all depended what the builders scheduled. You went home when the house was done. Sometimes that was 6 hours in a day, sometimes it was 12 hours in a day. Usually the ladder. Now that i own the company, the hours are pretty much the same every day. 10-12 hours a day.....But, the nice thing about being the owner, i can pretty much take time off whenever i want.Paid, of course :)

Latest posts

Back