Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tweet and twitter have precedence here. They've been used as singular/plural for many long years, since before the grandparents of whomever created Twitter was born.

What really irritates me is "my tweets." Don't you mean your twitter?

I am aware of twittering birds and such, I think I just feel a twit is more fitting. Maybe I am just annoyed of the internet progression.

First there were Web Logs, where any idiot could write out their meanderings which the masses were too lazy to say so they become 'Blogs'.

Then came twitter. Where those too lazy to fully flesh out a thought could have the equivalent of a 'Blog' without the hassle of annoyances like complete sentences, and using too many words or thought. Now people can post anything from "I am pooping" to people with the last name Wiener showing pictures of his to co-eds.

I am starting to think I have anger issues. Maybe this is true, but I still consider it that I am intolerant to idiocy. But don't get me wrong, both web logs and twitting can be used for good, but far too many people use them for evil.

DrunkleJon said:
I am intolerant to idiocy

I forget who this quote is attributed to but he/she definitely has the right idea:

"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Some smart fellow

"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Some smart fellow

While I agree with the thought, the lazy majority will use that oportunity to get rich via frivolous lawsuits:

Burned myself with my McD Coffee
Eating too much fast food made us fat
etc.

Then they can be funded for longer stretches of stupidity and laziness and teach the next generations.

boy are you in the wrong metro area

True. I have developed the most useful ability to ignore most people, and my short term memory has never been all that good so the dude abides. I second the lets kick natural selection in the butt and tell it to get back to work. It apparently isnt trying hard enough.

If we can get some philanthropist to fund prizes for the Darwin Awards, I'm sure that would do the trick. The idiots would literally kill themselves trying to win! :D

most of those idiots enjoy their amateur status and do not need a monetary incentive

"That being said," or "That said", or "Having said that" ... just say it already!!

My mother-in-law alternates between "That being said" and "Anywho" to transition between two completely unrelated subjects. It drives me crazy.

I don't know if it has been mentioned in this giant thread yet, but being in Alabama I hear "I'm not racist, but (insert racist statement here)" all the time. If you need a disclaimer, guess what...you're racist!

I don't know if it has been mentioned in this giant thread yet, but being in Alabama I hear "I'm not racist, but (insert racist statement here)" all the time. If you need a disclaimer, guess what...you're racist!

Also, "I have a bunch of friends who are [minority group], but..."

Sorry but this brought this clip to my mind instantly.

[ame]http://youtu.be/2n2VVTUXHgA[/ame]

My mother-in-law alternates between "That being said" and "Anywho" to transition between two completely unrelated subjects. It drives me crazy.

Anywho isn't a freakin word

I had been trying to remember this one for this thread for a long time until I saw it used on another site: "addicting" used as an adjective (ie: "OMG just tried this new pizza place and their food is so addicting!").

It's "addictive", for the love of Jebus!

TangoHotel said:
Why you gotta be like that? :'(

Cuz I like you Tango. In only a way one dude can like another dude without being gay. Do you feel the love?

I'm drunkk. :-D

This was the last update I was going to check before I went to bed. Tyzippers, you are forcing me to go into the forums just so that doesn't haunt me in my dreams tonight.

TangoHotel said:
This was the last update I was going to check before I went to bed. Tyzippers, you are forcing me to go into the forums just so that doesn't haunt me in my dreams tonight.

Haha! Sweet dreams Tango!

Without a doubt... as soon as I hear it I question it's validity.

Without a doubt, my least favorite word is, ..................when referring to a room. Calling it a "space". " this would be a great space to have your family over for tea and crumpets". ......."this is America " "it is a great space". What the f@&$, space?

"Supper"

I know I know. Its a real word that has been around for hundreds of years and it is generally used properly. It just sounds silly to me.

Back