Woot! First brew is in bottles... now trying my hand at that Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HooniverseJeff

Reaction score
So my first Mr. Beer batch has moved to bottles. All the bottles feel very firm, which I am assuming is a sign that the priming sugar is working its magic.

I batch primed, let the Mr. Beer fermenter settle for quite a bit, then bottled directly from the Mr. Beer. A bottling bucket is high on my list of must-haves.

While that brew sits for the next 14 days, I have decided to give that Apfelwein recipe a shot. Everyone here seems to love it...

I have 2 gallons of 100% apple juice, 1lb of corn sugar, and the montrachet yeast. I also picked up a case of glass 12oz bottles, a pack of caps and a hand capper.

Anything I need to know about the Apfelwein?

Just tapped a keg of it the other day. Takes a little getting used to but it's great. Also don't let your girlfriend drink more than two glasses the first time because she most likely will end up getting drunk and starting a fight. It sneaks up on you like that.

Just tapped a keg of it the other day. Takes a little getting used to but it's great. Also don't let your girlfriend drink more than two glasses the first time because she most likely will end up getting drunk and starting a fight. It sneaks up on you like that.

Ha!

I'm making this batch for her actually, as a thank you for getting me the Mr. Beer. Maybe if I get her drunk, I can convince her it's already time to jump to a 5-gallon setup :mug:

Seriously tho the night I tapped the keg had a few buddies over to go out later that night. We prolly drank bout a third of the keg. Me and the girlfriend had a huge fight over nothing and found the buddies all scattered around town in the morning.

Seriously tho the night I tapped the keg had a few buddies over to go out later that night. We prolly drank bout a third of the keg. Me and the girlfriend had a huge fight over nothing and found the buddies all scattered around town in the morning.

This is why apfelwein was invented:rockin:

With regards to my bottled first batch, are the bottles supposed to feel extremely firm? I am using the PET bottles that came with the kit.

For the apfelwein, i went out and bought a case of 12-oz glass bottles, a capper and caps - but that is over a month away at this point.

Ha!

I'm making this batch for her actually, as a thank you for getting me the Mr. Beer. Maybe if I get her drunk, I can convince her it's already time to jump to a 5-gallon setup :mug:

Maybe if you get her really drunk, she'll like even like it in the can. Seriously, try it out. Start her off with some Oscar Blues or something... ;)

Latest posts

Back