Wood Barrel expertise needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew hoperator

Reaction score
I am completely clueless when it comes to wood barrels, but I have an opportunity to get 2 wood barrels that were used to age wine. They have not been used for around 4 decades. Is it even worth it? I am guessing no.

If it is worth it, what books or articles does anyone suggest to read to clean and prepare the barrels for beer aging?

Thanks

I know there's only a hand ful of folks on here who are lucky enough to get ahold of one. In fact there's not even any threads really about using barrels in the similar threads box below, which proves there not a lot of info on here.

I have never used one, but THIS podcast from Basic Brewing Radio has great info on that subject.

05-10-07 Basic Brewing Radio - Aging with Oak
Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:30 PM
Dan Carey, Brewmaster of New Glarus Brewing Company in New Glarus, Wisconsin, shares his tips on aging beer in oak chips and in oak barrels.

Click to Listen-mp3

You might have better luck unfortunately using the google...Hopefully anyone who has experience will chime in.

Hope my podcast link helps though you lucky duck.

:mug:

at first you'd have to see if they'll even hold water. i bought a little 2L one at a garage sale and it took 3 days submerged in water till it would hold liquid.

If the barrels are 40 years old, they might be dried out if nothing was stored in them the whole time

I use barrels daily and they are pretty useless even if filled for forty years without maintanance. I would skip it and look for someone in your area that is making wine and wants to get rid of a barrel. There are wineries within an hour or two drive, call one up. They are always getting rid of barrels around this time of year.

Latest posts

Back