Woo Hoo! Textbook Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engelramm

Reaction score
Hey gang, I'm on my 4th batch (a Brewer's Best English Brown Ale kit that I slightly modified) and everything seems to be going "by the book".

My other batches soared through fermentation and acted strangely...and yes I worried the whole time...but they tasted fine.

This brew started about 4 hours after pitching, proceeded slowly for about a day, bubbled steadily (bubble per second) for a day or so, then started slowing down. It's been 5 days and now I get a bubble about every minute and a half. I plan to rack to secondary bucket on Friday (7th day) and take a hydrometer reading...and probably a sip.

Between you folks on here and Papazian's book, I'm relaxed and (mostly) patiently waiting.

Thanks!

I brewed, and am now enjoying (at this very moment), a beer from the same BB EBA kit, and it is delicious. I find it is quite better at room temp, rather than chilled. Taste is more discernable that way. BTW, I did the 1-2-3 week method.
Cheers. :mug:
As you can see from my signature below, I like it so much I am continuing with that beer style for a while. :D

Chimone said:
and green beer comes to those who don't :drunk:
I tasted my last batch along the way as it matured, you know, so I would know what "green" beer tasted like...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :D

Engelramm said:
It's been 5 days and now I get a bubble about every minute and a half. I plan to rack to secondary bucket on Friday (7th day) and take a hydrometer reading...and probably a sip.

Between you folks on here and Papazian's book, I'm relaxed and (mostly) patiently waiting.

Thanks!

I wouldn't use a bucket as a secondary fermenter. Not much CO2 is produced during the conditioning phase of fermentation and I would be worried about the excessive amount of head space that you will have in a bucket, and the resulting exposure to oxygen.

If you don't have a five gallon glass carboy or Better-Bottle to secondary in then I would just leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks and bottle it.

John

johnsma22 said:
I wouldn't use a bucket as a secondary fermenter. Not much CO2 is produced during the conditioning phase of fermentation and I would be worried about the excessive amount of head space that you will have in a bucket, and the resulting exposure to oxygen.

If you don't have a five gallon glass carboy or Better-Bottle to secondary in then I would just leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks and bottle it.

John
I didn't think about that. Hmmm.

There's plenty of CO2 in the ale that will evolve (de-gas, whatever) when you rack. I have four 7 gallon buckets and use them for all phases, except when I go straight to the keg. I am a little concerned about the blackberry wine, looks like there will only be 2 gallons. I may have to use cider jugs.

I guess I just thought that 5 gallons of beer sealed in a 6.5 gallon bucket with a lid and airlock would be okay. We'll see, I racked into my 6.5 gallon bucket today. I was very careful to make sure I didn't splash much when I racked so we'll see soon...

Thanks for the encouragement, david_42.

Back