First ever Brew :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crisp

Reaction score
Hi guys

Awesome forum, I have finally decided to stop lurking for knowledge and sign up and share my happenings as a new brewer....

I chose to go down the route of boiling my malt extract even though it was hopped but also added hops rite towards the end of the boil, I also chose to do a small boil was that I really.didn't like the un hands on approach of just putting the extract straight in the fermenter putting the lid on and that's it, to me there's no love in that ;) everything tastes better with a bit of love and enjoyment thrown in.... I will eventually start useing grains and recipes and such but just going to use some nice packs at the minute to get the hang of things and slowly start steeping grains.

I have chosen to do a mix of Moasic and citra into my first beer pack which is a
"Mangrove Jacks Craft series IPA"

After reading lots and lots and second guessing myself on everything I would read I finally delved in, in producing my first batch of Wort, and found it enjoyable, it can be daunting doing it for the very first time, not ever experienceing your first "Hot Break" (water mister and stirer at the ready :p)

And also makeing sure to remeber the little things that make a big difference (turning off heat and stirring extract so it doesn't pool)

.... one of my first rookie errors was in hopping towards the end of the boil not weighing anything and kinda just a bit gun ho.... I have a feeling I put Way to much in, I bashed like 100g of moasic in a hop bag with maybe 40g of citra and have kept just over 50 grams to dry hop today with..is this enough to make a difference? .... the hop bag was a monster in my boil pot, I guess it was a learning experience.... I did have some kind of thought process in my head when putting so much in at the boil I liked the smell of the moasic alot and quite found of it so I thought I'd heavily hop the boil with it like 3 mins before flame out and then the dry hopped citra will leave just a nice hinty note of itself ..... is this a correct way of.looking at it or comeptlty off track ?? I am still learning about the different ABVS and how.oily the hops are and such, I do know they are both aroma hops and have slightly figured out the difference between them and bittering variety...

Can anyone shed any light what my final outcome may taste like putting that much hops in at the end of boil ?? Will it effect it tremendously or could it be a happy accident and taste flipping awesome ????

After my boil
I had trouble chilling the wort quickly using ice in the sink and water super scared about the "contaminating part of the cooling" I read so much about, and have decided for my next batch I will be using a cooling coil and debating to make my own of just buy one.....

Anyway I pitched at around 20 oC using the M-07 English Ale yeast

Activity slow for the first few hours but it was time for bed then ..... but awoke to a nice steady happy airlock bubbling away, the first 2 days I had been watching the thermometer strip like a hawk I kept it in between 18 oC - 20oc hopeing my target was 19....
I found a cheap $50 bucks fridge freezer and going to pick it up today give it a good old clean and get me a temp control for the next batch, the Mrs grew swiftly tierd of wet towels getting on her clothes and shoes in the closet ;) I'm actually quite excited to set up my fermenting fridge :)

So it's been 7 days now from pitching, airlock has hardly any activity if what none, but reading wisdom from you guys that's nothing to go by :) and will be leaving it in primary dry hippinh another week before bottling, I am weighing up the option of going to get a secondary fermenter today so I can make another batch, but am leaning towards just waiting and seeing how this one turns out.

I'm also debating whether to buy a bottling bucket or to just use the tap and wand on my primary(sediment reducer is in), as it was a taped barrel from a set ??? Any reccomendarions whether transferring to bottling bucket ... just read an awesome bottling post on the forum here forgive me for not remeber posters name he posts alot of helpful stuff though

I will put a few pics :) at the bottom maybe someone can advise me on my first grav reading I'm still a bit un knowledgeable on this part I took a pic of grav reading

Thanks guys hope someone got some enjoyment out of my post and any first time brewers makeing the jump in like me, don't fret and just go for it ... :)

Will post some updates

Good luck hope it goes ok I'm doing my 1st brew but I'm using coopers stuff just add sugar for now till I learnt basics then will go for the grain way I'm intrested in doing the Budweiser clone

That is not a ridiculous amount of hops for an IPA... I typically use 4-5 oz at flameout which is in the 150 gram range. If you like hoppy beers with great aroma you need to use that amount plus a similar amount in the dry hop. My standard is 4 oz flameout hops and 4 oz dry hops for an IPA. This is assuming a 5 gallon (20 liter) batch. What was your original gravity? When did you take that gravity reading in the photo? 1.034 is a very high finishing gravity (unless you are brewing a 12% imperial stout). If that is your FG, expect the beer to taste quite sweet for an IPA. Typically you would want an IPA to finish at 1.010-1.014, although that can be difficult with extract. Substituting sugar for some of the extract can help dry the beer out, as sugar is 100% fermentable. And yes, buy another bucket fermenter because once you get into brewing you will want to do it often!

Hi dude that gravity reading was after cooling the wort I think it could have done with cooling down a bit more .... I havnt taken another reading since pitching, sweet maybe I will get some more citra to dry hop with ..... thanks for the replys by the way guys :)

You should enter your recipe into Brewsmith orBrewgr along with your hops. The app will calculate your IBUs (bitterness level) to give you a sense of whether you are in the range of the style you are going for.

Hi guys

Just put my dry hops in and took a grav reading

It smelt bloody good and tasted quite nice in my opinion

Here's the reading I'm guessing it's about 1.12 ish ???

And believe that's quite good ey :)

So anyway it's back in the closet to dry hope for another week

My LHBS ran out of Citra and not recieveing any over to New zealand till new harvest so dry hopped with some left over citra I had and 50 grams of something called Falconers Flight

Anyway fingers crossed :)

So iv put my OG and the reading I just took into a calculator

And it's come back with quite a low % is there anyway of increasing this, this far down the track ????

as per the recipe on the web page your OG should have been around 1.045. finishing at 1.012 = 4.3% ABV

a nice IPA... you may drop another couple points during dry hop it has only been 7 days

Thanks for the reply guys a big help ....

I have a feeling my rookieness came into play taking my First grav reading, the wort hadn't been chilled enough I don't think, I remeber seeing somewhere that optimal temp is about 20oC

Aww well it's mah first brew so see how it comes out, and can approach my next brew more knowledgeable.....

Should I be boiling at a certain temp ??

Or does this differ each time dependent on the brew ?

Yet another Update guys :) I'm quite excited though my first ever Brew is smelling and sample tastes lovely

Decided to take another grav reading today as aiming to bottle this weekend.... it looks to have changed a little bit ey

The dry hopping must be doing its job as it smelt and tasted awesome

I wish I could send some of you guys samples from New Zealand to try and tell me how it tastes for a homebrew
(FYI if any new Zealanders use this forum as our country homebrew forum is as dead as anything let me know and maybe I can send you a bottle to give me some feedback: ) )

Decided I'm going to go all put and make some labels too :)

I have also decided on my next brew, will be a blonde ALE with a Hop combination I found on Beersmith iv decided to use a blonde ALE kit, but with the same yeast and hop additions as the all grain recipe as I'm still not ready to go to the grains. .... have to keep the Mrs happy and brew her something that isn't as hoppy and bitter, and make up for soaking her clothes in the closet with wet towels ;)

All good now I have my fermentation fridge and wired myself up a Lil temp controller, very enjoyable task at the weekend :)

Anyway some pics to follow :)

20151215_155140.jpg

20151215_154757.jpg

20151213_174500.jpg

Hi guys me again

Just took another grav reading today, I have some copper tun finings I was going to do the method of boiling some water displaying and pouring on top today.... is it ready for finings? And bottling Saturday ? Today is Wednesday ..... should I leave hop bag in ???

It seems to be dropping down quite fast is this possible ????

Same ol way taking a sample through fermenter tap, plonk in grav reader, and look at numbers

What would this read ??? To me it kinda seems like it's on its way to be quite a good first brew ???

Pics to follow

Oh and thanks to the people taking the time to read my journey and helping out :) much appreciated

2015-12-16 16.22.54.jpg

2015-12-16 16.22.30.jpg

Back