wolf spiders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopleaf

Reaction score
My wife went to bed early tonight, found a giant wolf spider in the bathroom and freaked out.. Ahh Texas, we have legendary bugs.

wolfspider627c8c1ka3.jpg

What is the deal with women and spiders anyways? I had an ex GF that was couldn't stand to have one within 200 yards of her.

My wife went to bed early tonight, found a giant wolf spider in the bathroom and freaked out.. Ahh Texas, we have legendary bugs.

AHA

AHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA:D

Wolf spiders are TINY compared to a Huntsman.. and we have these bad mofos EVERYWHERE here. As big as your hand.. and just as ugly :rockin:

About 15 years ago I was bitten in the middle of my back by either a brown recluse or a black widow (both being native to my region and the doctor believed it to be the former). Fortunately I got off easy. It may have been immature or the location helped diffuse the venom so no major issues developed. For a period of 3-4 days though, it felt as if I had torn every single muscle in my back, and you'd be amazed at how every little movement you make seems to involve a back muscle. Needless to say I didn't move around much that week. The big suckers may be ugly, but it's those little venomous bastards that reeeeeeeally give me the creeps.

Yeah, we have a cousin of teh Brown Recluse here, it's called a White Tail, and it causes Necrosis of the skin as well.

We also have the Sydney Funnel Web... it will kill you just by looking at you.

Well, OK it has to avtually bite you, but if you are not medicated quickly, you WILL DIE.

Yeah, we have a cousin of teh Brown Recluse here, it's called a White Tail, and it causes Necrosis of the skin as well.

Well, OK it has to avtually bite you, but if you are not medicated quickly, you WILL DIE.

Jeez, yeah, what is it with women and spiders? I mean, they're just harmless little creatures! :p

I'll kill any spiders I see indoors just based on the almost non-existent chance that it's one of those evil f*cks.

Okay, that clock pic REALLY made my skin crawl. I concur with the earlier shotgun advice in that instance.

El Hubbo and I are in the process of moving from TX to Tennessee. We are trading giant spiders and fire ants for timber rattlers and black bears. Works for me!

When I was little, my mom taught us to keep one wolf spider in the house to keep it bug free.

When I was little, my mom taught us to keep one wolf spider in the house to keep it bug free.

Yep, great bug killers and no webs... but they do get huge. Largest one I ever saw was in a truck bay at a nuke plant. I was playing with it with a screwdriver (can be very aggressive if irritated) when a guy walked by and jokingly said something about putting up chicken wire to keep them out. ;)

C'mon Pete. You guys have EVERYTHING that is evil and poisonous..let's see:

FunnelWeb
Red Back
White Tail
Mouse Spider

Taipan
Red Bellied Black
Black Tiger
Copperhead
Gwardar
Collett's
Fierce
Eastern Tiger
Eastern Brown
Death Adder
Mulga

Irukanji
Box Jelly
Stone Fish
Blue Ring Octopus
Sea snakes (lots :D)

Platypus

and finally a tick that paralyzes you.

I am sure I am missing lots of other stuff.

Oh like the Great White, and Salt Water Crocs.

I think this may be why I don't want to go to Australia :D

C'mon Pete. You guys have EVERYTHING that is evil and poisonous..let's see:

FunnelWeb
Red Back
White Tail
Mouse Spider

Taipan
Red Bellied Black
Black Tiger
Copperhead
Gwardar
Collett's
Fierce
Eastern Tiger
Eastern Brown
Death Adder
Mulga

Irukanji
Box Jelly
Stone Fish
Blue Ring Octopus
Sea snakes (lots :D)

Platypus

and finally a tick that paralyzes you.

I am sure I am missing lots of other stuff.

Oh like the Great White, and Salt Water Crocs.

I think this may be why I don't want to go to Australia :D

You forgot Drop Bears!

Last edited by a moderator:
AHA

AHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA:D

Wolf spiders are TINY compared to a Huntsman.. and we have these bad mofos EVERYWHERE here. As big as your hand.. and just as ugly :rockin:

I knew when I posted this thread some Aussie would come in here and make comments :p

To my wife's eyes this thing was the size of a Buick.

Thankfully up here in Michigan we dont' have the BR spiders. Everyone thinks we do, but it's a fact that they can't live below 40 degrees, and we have lots of that weather up here. The only proven BR bites have come from someone who recently had furniture moved up from down south, or had just traveled from down south.

We got a few that look close though.

I like keeping spiders around - they eat the bugs in the house. I'd rather have spiders than silverfish and those creepy-ass hairy centipede things that roam the basement.

Plus they can double as a cat toy once discovered.

i don't mind wolf spiders...used to always have big suckers back in my hometown, but i rarely got spider bites and their just a little irritating compared to all the bugs you'd have to worry about without them. i never killed spiders.

then i moved to california. i've seen so many black widows. brown recluse as well...they're not native, but i guess they came over in furniture and crap and live around here. ugh. those DIE immediately. i caught one and put it in a jar and it had a crap-load of little baby spiders. they lived for months in that jar without any additional air or food besides their mum. then they went in a fire.

unless it's poisonous, i don't mess with it, but i regularly kill black widows and centipedes.

I like keeping spiders around - they eat the bugs in the house. I'd rather have spiders than silverfish and those creepy-ass hairy centipede things that roam the basement.

Plus they can double as a cat toy once discovered.

My thoughts exactly. Unless it is a brown recluse or black widow, both of which are found here, I leave them alone. Until they get "too big", then I trap them and move them outside.

In my porch on the backwall.

574-spider.JPG

No I didn't goosh him, that was for size reference only. Tarantulas are cool. All other spiders must DIE. Especially the black one's with the red diamond on them. Like this piece that ran out at my hand near the pool equipment.

574-theWidow.JPG

Holy Crap Tenchiro!. Pete will tell you; that's gotta be something out of Australia :D.

Holy Crap Tenchiro!. Pete will tell you; that's gotta be something out of Australia :D.

Not sure about the big black one with babies.. It might be a Bird Spider. I'll have to look that one up, but the little ones aren't spiders. I'm pretty sure those are "Harvestmen" which are regulalrly mistaken for Daddy Longlegs.

ugh, I never saw what was behind it before...

http://www.fazed.org/blog/view/1/clock-spider/

Ah yes, the infamous "Clock Spider"

That's a pretty good sized Huntsman.

I'll tell you what's even scarier than the size of those babies, is the SPEED of them. They move like LIGHTNING.

The good knews is that they can't kill you. They will bite if you handle them or sit on them etc, but it's about as painful as a bee sting.

Spiders have a valuable place in nature, but they have no place in my house. I can deal with small ones, but big spiders would equal McKBrew screaming like a *****!!!

This brings back memories...painful memories.:( Due to a traumatic experience as a young boy, the sight of a spider, any spider, turns me into a screaming schoolgirl. I've gotten better over the years, but they still creep the crap out of me. I know they have their place in the eco-system, but to me, the only good spider is a dead spider.:cross:

Another funny comment off of Tenchiro's link;

you're only now deciding to not go to australia?!
and u're only doing it because of that one spider?!
australia has more deadly dangerous animals than any other place on earth.
Plus they're quickly becoming one of the fattest nations on earth and the people there are naked ALL THE TIME

The. Horror.....

I was bringing in the laundry one day, and after I had put it down, I could still feel one of the sheets blowing against my arm. I looked down and I had one of these clinging to my arm.
greenspider.JPG

It was about the size of the rim on a coffee cup, green, spiky, and looked hungry. I kind of flailed at it and did some sort of jig around the room in my panic. It was quite funny in retrospect. Spiders don't really scare me in general, but I don't like being surprised by one being ON me.

LOL as I wrote this, the cord from my laptop fell down my leg. I nearly did the same jig of lore. Ha hahhahaa I guess spiders do weird me out a little.;)

As much as I respect spiders role in nature, they creep me the hell out...

1285668001_676c4a55fe_b.jpg

Ohh, Ooooooh! I know those! That pic was taken about 15 miles from my house in Texas! Now, if just lookin' at the pic creeps you out, the fact behind it will send you screaming into the night.

Last summer, after a horrible drought broke, spiders of differing species began cooperating, working together, to build interlocking webs in order to hunt more productively. Scientists were astounded and came from all over to study the critters. Apparently, it hadn't happened before, or at least to this degree. So what you see in the pic is really ONE WEB, and only a small part of it, with thousands and thousands of spiders working as a unit toward a goal.

Kind of like the Borg, no?

Wow Bedlam, thanks for explaining that! They are really smart animals - that's amazing stuff!

I never had a problem with spiders. Centipedes creep me the hell out though.

Latest posts

Back