WLP670 and Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeraW

she/her
Reaction score
I recently brewed a farmhouse ale off of a friend's recipe and yeast, and later learned it was 670, which contains some Brett. I pitched in primary, (can't secondary if I wanted to.) Older threads had a lot of mixed ideas about how long of a primary for this strain due to the Brett and potential bottle bombs. I can't keg.

It's at 1.010 after 10 days and an active ambient-temp ferment. Mash temp was 146 and the brew day was fine, though I was shooting for a lower mash temp - not sure if that's quite too high for this style.

How long should SG be stable before I bottle?

Last edited:
Bumping this once, but I might repost in the Fermentation forum...
Another week later and it seems to still be at 1.010

I recently brewed a farmhouse ale off of a friend's recipe and yeast, and later learned it was 670, which contains some Brett. I pitched in primary, (can't secondary if I wanted to.) Older threads had a lot of mixed ideas about how long of a primary for this strain due to the Brett and potential bottle bombs. I can't keg.

It's at 1.010 after 10 days and an active ambient-temp ferment. Mash temp was 146 and the brew day was fine, though I was shooting for a lower mash temp - not sure if that's quite too high for this style.

How long should SG be stable before I bottle?

If your FG is still above 1.010 the Brett has not finished doing its work. Brett is known for bring gravity waaay down close to 1.000. I would let this sit about another month or two, thats just the nature of Brett, It needs time to work. Check gravity in about 1-2 months. If Your under 1.005 you are safe to bottle using regular bottles. If you feel impatient and want to bottle now, i would use thick glass bottles to prevent bottle bombs. Definately use less priming suger than you normaly would for any other beer since the brett will really ferment any remaining sugars out. Hope this is some help to you!

I bottled 4 weeks ago in normal bottles with minimal priming (I think I calculated to 1.5 vols). Carbonated in 2 weeks. Brett character is minimal, but I didn't really want it. Batch is stored in a Rubbermaid, and I'll fridge them all if any start to gush. My plan is to drink them before they attenuate far enough to be dangerous.

Cool I would love to hear how these turn out an change over the next month!

Update: The carbonation level seems to have increased just a bit, and the first bottle just barely started to foam out of the top of the bottle when opened cold. The rest haven't, but they do hiss louder than before when opened.

So, bottled on 6/15 at 1.009, began to have an issue on 8/4, cold crashing the rest. About 45 days. Don't detect much of a flavor change from earlier bottles.

Edited to add: Bottle pellicle detected. Hard to photograph though.

good luck with disarming the bottle bombs. Definitely not fun. Ive put on safety glasses, gloves, and a heavy leather jacket before to dump what was left of a batch before

I use heavy bottles for all my sours and bretts. The average bottle weighs between 195 and 205 grams. Some breweries (like stone and deschutes) have bottles that are around 230g. Then of course theres the heavy duty belgian ones (orval is like 400g) so I save all those types of bottles separately. I wouldnt use 22oz bottles because they seem to be more susceptible to bombs

What was your apparent attenuation? I'm about to bottle after using this strain but am also worried about gushers/bombs. The beer I'm packaging has an AA of 96.8% so I feel like I can prime as usual but I'm not sure if I should cut the priming sugar amount due to the Brett doing whatever Brett wants.

Sorry about the delay. OG was 1.048, bottled at 1.009, so about 81%. I carbed to 1.5 vols of CO2, lower than I'd usually do for this style.

I've bottled saisons with this strain many times no problems at all 5g of sugar per litre ; perfect carbonation.

If less priming sugar is used than normal due to the presence of brett then the biggest risk is flat beer.

This strain is relatively tame nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Back