WLP644...What to Make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Bought this yeast on a whim from morebeer and now I'm trying to decide what to make with it. Anyone used it before? Most reviews say it throws tropical and pineapple flavors, so I'm leaning towards an IPA. BUT! I think it's technically a sour/Belgian style yeast? Maybe a Belgian white style IPA? Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bought this yeast on a whim from morebeer and now I'm trying to decide what to make with it. Anyone used it before? Most reviews say it throws tropical and pineapple flavors, so I'm leaning towards an IPA. BUT! I think it's technically a sour/Belgian style yeast? Maybe a Belgian white style IPA? Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It’s the 3 Fontinein house strain, if I’m not mistaken. That does qualify it as a Belgian yeast, and it’s very successful at fermenting NEIPAs, Saisons, Witbiers, and pretty much anything that can stay cloudy. Attenuates well, but doesn’t flocc out at all. This recipe is an awesome favorite of mine that’s perfect for this yeast:

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2014/07/saison-merican-hoppy-funk.html

This recipe is an awesome favorite of mine that’s perfect for this yeast:

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2014/07/saison-merican-hoppy-funk.html

Interesting, I have a saison going right now with the Yeast Bay Saison Blend I. Either that stuff works stealthily within hours, or it might not be working at all. I haven't taken a sample yet, but there is almost no krausen 72 hours post pitch (with 1L starter). Maybe I'll throw the 644 in there an see what happens.

Last edited:
Originally, the thought was that 644 was Brett Drie. I would assume it was captured from a 3F product, meaning it could have come from a number places.

I like to use it IPA's, and Saison bases. It works really well with kettle sours..

I have used it in an IPA, the starter tasted fanatic, sadly it's doesn't quite work for me in an IPA.

It's an oddball yeast. It's one of the only diastatic/POF- yeasts. It works in IPAs but you need to pair it with the right hops. Fruity is your friend.

Back