WLP568 off flavors for to low of temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyscha

Reaction score
I brewed my first Belgian this weekend, I am trying to make something similar to GI Matilda, so I will call it Matilda-ish (http://hopville.com/recipe/1675217).

my OG was around 1.060 @ 70f

my LHBS didnt have any WLP560, but had some WLP568, I decided to be brave and try it. I brewed 3 days ago, and its been fermenting in my Mr Beer LBK. After reading a few post, this yeast likes it heat, however my problem is my basement is around 64, I dont have an accurate thermometer on my LBK, but I suspect that its around that same temperature as my 5 gallon batches usually are. Should I be worried about off flavors for being to low of temps? Should I try to get it up to around 70f? or RDWHAHB?

Just wanted to post back in-case anyone else referenced this post.

Fermented for ~17 days @ 64
Fermented for 2 days @ 70 (I am sure this didn't do anything)

I tried it last night, tasted really good with no off flavors. I am guessing the Belgian yeast took over if the saison works at better temps. Anyway I plan on bottling this in a week or two.

OG ~1.060
SG ~1.014

I think that is way too low for a Belgian saision. I start off at 68 and try to hit 80 degrees gradually during the fermentation process.

I'm going to run a farmhouse tomorrow and my plan is similar to Ondori. I plan to start at 66 for 2 days, then ramp it to 75 over 4 days, hold for a week, then ramp to 80 over a few days (...then go from there). wish me luck.

I'm using 566

I'm going to run a farmhouse tomorrow and my plan is similar to Ondori. I plan to start at 66 for 2 days, then ramp it to 75 over 4 days, hold for a week, then ramp to 80 over a few days (...then go from there). wish me luck.

I'm using 566

Let me know how yours turns out. I just used 566 and mine tastes a lot like a hefe. Very fruity and not so much funk. It came out great, but I was looking for a DuPont funk that I didn't get here. Could have been me though.. lol

What was your grain bill like? (you're scaring me...haha)

I was looking for that DuPont like taste with mine. Come to find out(just found out like 30 minutes ago), to get that flavor you need to add some brett. The flavor is actually awesome. Probably the best beer I have brewed so far, just was expecting some funk, and I didn't get that. The description is dead on from what White Labs says. very fruity and not too phenolic. Ferments like a monster too!

Cool. If you want a touch of sour funk, I'd highly recommend getting a gallon carboy and drawing off some of ypur wort and souring that separately...then, after ferment is done, blend to taste.

Cool. If you want a touch of sour funk, I'd highly recommend getting a gallon carboy and drawing off some of ypur wort and souring that separately...then, after ferment is done, blend to taste.

Great idea lol I will have to try this and post my results. Thanks :)

The 566 worked fine. I held it at 68 for 3.5 days or so, before it started slowing down. It churned like a monster the first 3 days. Then I ramped it up to mid 70s, but I don't think I needed to go over 70, really, which is a pleasant surprise. Next time I'll keep at at 68 for 3 days then ramp to 70 and hold it there for a week, then shut it off and let it sit at room temp (low 60s) for another week or so.

I bottled last weekend, I will post back in a week or two of how it tasted.

Let us know. I have a different Saison recipe that I wanted to run with 568 but LHBS didn't have it.

This is a great yeast and under appreciated by most IMO. I think the blend throws people off.
Ferments out at most temps and has delicious fruit and slightly phenolic flavours. Touch of pepper if the heat gets ramped up at the right time 3-5 day mark. I haven't had it over 77f but might push that to low 80s next batch.

I brewed up a Saison, pitched 568 at 68 degrees for 2 days, was planning on slowly bringing it up to 75 or so and holding it there for a few weeks. On the third day (had a heat spell basement temp rose sharply) it was fermenting at 80 when i left for work today and the foam was rising into the blow-off. Will that quick temp spike have a negative impact on the yeast? I am not sure what the upper range of temps is for this yeast. i have gone as high as 78 in the past and it worked out great, but i slowly worked up to those temps. OG was 1.65, grain bill below

76% pils
12 % wheat
8% vienna
4 % sugar

Best saison I've made was when I turned off temp control on day 2 or 3. Let it free rise up to 80+. That yeast is very robust and doesn't put out off flavors at higher temp (as long as you have a good, healthy pitch). On the other hand, I've found that yeast can easily stall out if you try to hold it back (I.e. Slowly ramp temp).

I say relax, let it go, and then give it a decent amount of time (2-3 wks) to clean up. Cold conditioning will also help.

Thanks I wasn't sure if the blended yeast such as this one liked the heat as much as the other saison strains

Back