WLP550 Belgin ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSKBeerfan

Reaction score
I pitched a dual starter of WL550 Belgin Ale yeast (I love this stuff) to a 10 Gallon batch of an Imperial 1.078 IPA on Sunday and wow did this take off,
Blew the bung out of the top of the Conicial Fermenter and the temps rose to 96 degrees for about 8 hours...

I managed to get the temp down currently at 76 degress and dropping but what effect will 96 degrees do to the taste? White Labs indicates with higher temps during fermentation will provide more of the Belgin flavors but it only got out of control for about 12 hours max.

What's your thought?

wait and see you might like it. But yeah, the most flavor impact from hot temps happens in the early stages of fermentation. Like the first 24 hours.

maida7 said:
hot harsh alcohol. super fruity banana and bubble gum esters. Diacytle and acetaldyhayde.

Bubble gum and banana from WLP550, I seriously doubt it. Maybe your thinking of WLP300.

i do love me some wlp550-and ive had it work pretty well in an IPA....let us know if temps in the 90s in the secret to spicy goodness (though I won't plan on fermenting that high anytime soon).

I have brewed with this yeast before and it's done an excellent job but I was able to keep the temp under control. This time while I slept it got out of control and my temp controlled fermenter was no match... I will let everyone know how it turns out and what effects it has on the outcome of the batch.

EXCELLENT! The Temp spike may have further helped the Belgin favors with little bubble gum or esters... the only negative side is I believe it hindered my Hop Flavors a bit and it caused me to lose some points in judging under the catagory Belgin IPA... I should have just left off the fact I had tried to hop it up and left it at a Belgin.

It's the only beer I have duplicated so far and really seemed to capture the same flavors both times :)

Back