WLP051 California V not sure what to do with this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

refect

Reaction score
Ok, so I got a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone fermenting right now using this yeast. It has been in primary for 6 days now, and I’m thinking about racking for clearing. I just went to check on it the batch and I still see a very thin layer of krausen on the top. It looks like a thin even layer of white foam, so it doesn't seem to have completely fallen like most yeast I’ve used by this time. It has been sitting fermenting at 66-67 degrees F.

This is my first time using this yeast, and It still has all kinds of chunks floating at the top right under the foam, and some falling settling at the bottom. It doesn't really have a nice even yeast cake settling at the bottom too (really chunky looking yeast). Anyways, I was reading on white labs about this yeast being slow, and did some searching around here on this yeast, but couldn't find an answer to my question. Some have mentioned this yeast getting stuck and slowing around 1.020-1.022, but were able to rouse it and get it to go a few points lower. My question is, even with the thin layer of krausen and some activity in the airlock, should I rack tomorrow (day 7 in primary) to a secondary for another week, and see if this stirs the yeast up some so they finish off the beer and clean everything up? Or should I just let it sit in the primary for another week? I was hoping to ferment in the primary for 7 days, secondary and dry hop for another 7 days, and then keg and condition after that. Any input/suggestions on using this yeast would be awesome. I also have not taken a gravity reading yet. I was going to do that when I rack or before I make my decision to rack tomorrow.

I leave my brews alone for 3 weeks and skip the secondary. You could raise the temp a bit and leave it for another week. Cold crash before bottling or kegging to clear it.

If it were mine, I'd let it go at least one more week in primary, then transfer to secondary for a week of dry hopping.

My last beer was a dipa with this yeast. I had it in the primary for a couple weeks and still had a slight haze to it when I transferred to dry hop. Next time I will give it a full 3 weeks before racking to dry hop.

Back