WLP029 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mx750ktm

Reaction score
Good morning everyone
I recently brewed a honey wheat and wanted to try WLP029 because I have never tried this particular strain before. I made a 1 liter starter 72 hours in advance and pitched at 65 degrees. I then slowly brought it down to about 58 and let it ride there for 3 days and then 3 days at 62 and then 3 at 65 and now I'm sitting at 68.

My question is I have seen other threads talking about how much better this yeast is with some lagering. Does this mean I need to lager while the beer is still on the yeast cake or can I simply just transfer to a keg and lager it in there without the yeast and then transfer to a new keg when I'm ready to serve? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Jake

If fermentation is 100% complete, give it a few more days at primary fermentation temp and then transfer off the yeast to lager. WLP029 is pretty powdery and does not like to fall out of suspension easily. A good long lagering period will settle the yeast out and the beer will age nicely.

awesome thank you both for the reply. That was the approach I planned to take but wanted to double check with some of you that have used this strain before.
Also I will wait until its 100% done :mug:

Good advice above. I have been using 029 regularly to brew a Kottbusser as my house beer. I have been ramping down after fermentation is done, 2-3 weeks, give or take, then holding it at 34F in the primary for 3-4 weeks, and the beer has been crystal clear.

Back