WLP002 very lumpy pre-fermentation. Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
First time using the WLP002 English and when making a starter I noticed the texture was completely different to any strain of yeast I've used before. Is this normal?

I shook the Purepack as usual, shook even longer on noticing through the packet window that the yeast was still lumpy and when I poured everything into my wort, there were lumps everywhere - like feta cheese clumps!

WLP0002.jpg

That stuff floccs like crazy too, so you may need to swirl it toward the end of fermentation, just to put it back into suspension.

Oh. The idea of swirling my fermenter gives me goosebumps. What about using a D-rest instead? I guess if the yeast is all compacted at the bottom then just changing the temperature would make little difference unless I stirred the yeast up.

I just ramp the temp up with 002. As soon as activity slows (which can be as little as 18-24 hours) I start slowly increasing the temp to the low 70s. It always attenuates just fine that way and no swirling necessary.

Back