WLP002 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juszaias

Reaction score
Hey ya'll. I brewed up a batch of Coffee ESB last night threw in my yeast starter and had a little bit of activity an hour after pitching. Now this morning it's raging on like you would expect. The only issue I have is that the thermometer on the brew bucket is reading 81 degrees. I know that's significantly over what it should be. The brew bucket is sitting at my friends house because it's his bucket and I'm making this beer for him for when he gets back from deployment. He has no temp control like I do at my house. I basically want to know what is everyone's experience with this strain and I could expect to get produced at that temp. I thinking about going over there today and moving the bucket to his garage to see if it will ferment cooler. Thanks!

Stick that bucket in a tote with cool water to cool it down. It creates a nice stabilization jacket. If need be drop a few frozen water bottles in it to control temps. Or rig up a swamp cooler. Placing the whole system in a somewhat cooler/more stable temp environment helps to keep it there.

At the higher temps, aside from fruity esters, the yeast is throwing off lots of bad tasting fusel (higher) alcohols too.

If it does produce a lot of fusels alcohols before I can get it moved is there anyway I can clean that up? Or am I stuck with it?

Well if anyone is interested in an update I stopped by and took a sample and it smelled just as it should. It had that see some malty yeast character that you would expect and no fusels alcohols. So we moved it.to.a.closet that remains cool. The temp.was showing 79 when I got here so we will see how it turns out

Back