WLP 530 trouble...if you can call it that.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazeller

Reaction score
This is my second time using WLP 530, and the same thing has happened again...it ferments down to about 1.030 in awe-inspiring fashion in about 2 days, then acts like it's going to stop, the krausen falls, the bubbles slow down, etc.

Both times now, I've done the same thing...swirled the carboy/bucket vigorously to rouse the yeast off the bottom.

Last time, with an all-grain dubbel (OG ~1.072), it worked great, fermentation restarted complete with a second messy blowoff, FG was ~1.010 and I'm still enjoying the results (Dubbel Trubbel!).

Now this time (same exact yeast, rinsed/refrigerated after the dubbel and rebuilt with a starter), with an all-grain Belgian Dark Strong Ale (OG ~1.081), I've swirled vigorously and now it seems to be starting up again, like a second fermentation, complete with massive messy blowoff #2. I'm thinking I'll be fine, but I thought it was worth mentioning that it has happened to me twice in a row now.

Just sharing for those interested. It's kind of a pain dealing with finicky yeast, and this may be enough for me to switch to a different Belgian yeast strain in the future.

Just a few notes about my system/process - all grain, 5-6 gallon batches, pure O2 and a diffusion stone to aerate, yeast counted via microscope/hemocytometer and pitched at rates suggested by Mr Malty and Beersmith 2, Johnson temp controller in a freezer and a thermowell to measure internal temp, started fermentation at ~64 degrees, let it rise at will after fermentation started (current batch is at 78 degrees).

Anyone else with similar experiences with WLP530?

interesting. Just rocked out a near 11% Belgian Strong Pale Ale with this and no issues. Finish slightly higher than I wanted (1.012) but I carmelized some of the first running so this is expected.

What temp? Rocked this bad Larry at 73 to start and let it ramp to 78 over a few days. Held the temp for a week then let it free fall. Crystal clear at bottling two months later. No real effort yeast-wise. No oxygen, don't even recall yeast nutrient in this one, just brewed a simple beer and let her ride...

I don't seem to have problems if I continually ramp the temp up to about 78F over the course of 7 days. I pitch at 64F, let it free rise to 72F and hold there through high krausen/blowoff. Once that stops, it gets increased 1F/day. Depending on OG, by day 7-10 the beer is done and near 1.012.

Back