wlp 037 cloves???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hadabar

Reaction score
hey guys I just made a brown ale using wlp 037 sam smith strain...fermentation was kept at 68. it was in primary for 2 weeks.

finished at 1.014.- good fermentation ...made a 1l stater.

when I went to go bottle it I smelled cloves. definite esters for sure. is this normal for this strain?

it smells like a darker, richer orval...its weird...its carbed in the bottle for 10 days and I opened one up just to see how it was coming along. good carbonation but still the ester. its very off putting. its great beer. just not what I expected. any ideas?

I used 037 for about a 5 month stretch on many beers. I like the yeast and its esters. Clove would be phenolic though, not an ester you'd associate with some English beers. I like to ferment that strain at 62F because it seems to produce more of that Sam Smith character. I tried 68-70 and it was way too fruity. If it reminds you of Orval, maybe you have a brett infection or some unwanted wild yeast. If they start getting over carbonated after a while, you more than likely picked up something.

the esters I expected the cloves I didn't...

I did use aromatic malt , about 9%- would that do anything wierd? idk...I just like my english yeasts on the high side 66 -68.

Latest posts

Back