British Golden Ale WLP 023 Bomb Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 023 Burton Ale
Yeast Starter
Yep
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.0 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @65
Tasting Notes
Beautiful cherry and pear esters from the yeast with a nice 2 row bite.
This beer is an adaptation and scaled down version of a beer by Brad Smith. I "Americanized" it a bit with the 2 row and do not dry hop it as recommended. If you've ever wondered what to do with WLP 023, this is it! I love that yeast because its so unique. I like this beer so much I have made this beer my house pale ale. It's hard to stop at one, so be warned!

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

1694.15g US Pale Malt (2 Row) Grain 75.8 %
270.50 g Crystal Malt 20L Grain 12.1%
270.50 g Light Brown Sugar 12.1%

14.98 g Goldings, East Kent [5.50 %] (60 min)
7.49 g Northern Brewer [7.5 %] (60 min)
7.49 g Fuggles [5.00 %] (2 min)

1 Pkg WLP 023 Burton Ale Yeast

BIAB Medium Body
60 min Mash at 152
10 min Mash Out at 168.0 F

Here is what it looks like. That nice creamy head sticks around for quite awhile.

WIN_20160327_185036.JPG

Looking to do something new...Can you tell me more about how you did this and just give me your pro tips? Tastes I can expect etc. Beer looks great!

Sounds great. Have a pack of WLP023 myself that I will use for an English IPA but I want to top crop some of the yeast for some kind of a pale ale.
What temperature did you ferment at?
The white labs site recommends 68 to 73F to get the full flavour from it but I want to ferment it in my basement which is a consistent 64 to 65F. Would that be too low and I would miss out on some of the flavour?

Sorry, I didn't get back to you guys! Been on a hiatus as of late. I fermented around 63-65. Turned out clean with some good pear and cherry esters.

Looking to do something new...Can you tell me more about how you did this and just give me your pro tips? Tastes I can expect etc. Beer looks great!

Hello! I don't know about "pro tips", but I can say things go smoothly if you follow the directions. You can expect to taste a little bitter bite from the 2 row and fruity esters from the yeast. Sort of like slightly sour but fruity bread.

Sorry, I didn't get back to you guys! Been on a hiatus as of late. I fermented around 63-65. Turned out clean with some good pear and cherry esters.

Thanks, sounds good. I'm going to brew an English golden ale with it next month. See how I like it and then use it for an English IPA

Back