Wits weigh in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardenwheat

Reaction score
I've brewed several wits and seem to change a little every time. I really should keep better notes, but wondering how others add their spices (at flameout or during boil) Also, fresh zest vs. bitter orange peel. I've seen posts where they say not to boil zest/bitter orange peel (?????) All comment welcome.

Here's the hops and spice addys of my wit. I've only ever used the "brewer's garden" versions of the bitter and sweet orange peel.

0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (20 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 gm Grains of Paradise (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

I crack my coriander and grains of pardise lightly in my mortar and pestle to bring out the oils.

What Revvy said. I add in the last five minutes. I use the dried orange peel and crush the coriander with a mortar and pestal.

Ive used a bottle of marmelade in one batch and 60g of freshly grated orange skin (just the orange part - no white) in another and they both turned out well. I'd opt for the fresh orange zest next time.
30g of coriander finely ground in my coffee grinder.
Peel and coriander added to boil for 10 mins.
60min hallertaur additon for 16 bu.
Next batch Im going to add fresh ginger.
WLP400

Back