Witbier Wit Power (Allagash White clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's everyone getting for FG? I'm stuck at 1.018 after 14 days. Going to pitch some US-05 to try and finish it.

Update:

Still drinking this beer, with a little age it's gotten much better. a truly great wit. I'll brew it again in the spring for the summer for sure. Only thing i would change is potentially using a different Yeast(but that'd be for me to experiment with). Otherwise everything about it rocked.

What's everyone getting for FG? I'm stuck at 1.018 after 14 days. Going to pitch some US-05 to try and finish it.

1.010 to 1.014 you could bump the heat and rust the yeast. BUT I found a good pitch and a heavy dose of o2 at pitch helps. Bump the temp to 78 if you can. Or pitching us 05 should finish it for you.

First time poster here, so take this with a grain of salt, but...it seems very few people think to consult Allagash's own website for the info.

From their own page:

"Grains: Allagash 2-Row Malted Barley Blend, Red Wheat Malt, Raw White Wheat, Oats, Carapils

Hops: Nugget, Crystal, Czech Saaz"

Taking into account the first post in this thread (yeah, it's from six years ago and I am very late to the party) which suggests using 15% wheat malt and 25% raw wheat, plus the info straight from Allagash, my amateur-ish guess at the proportions are:

50% two-row (and not pils malt as seemingly EVERYONE believes)
25% raw wheat (I've heard of some people grinding and mashing raw wheat berries, but I'm pretty new to brewing so I'll stick with flaked for the time being)
15% wheat malt
5% flaked oats
5% Carapils

For 5 gallons, this puts you at something like:

5# 2-row
2.5# raw/flaked wheat
1.5# wheat malt
.5# flaked oats
.5# CaraPils

...which BrewersFriend estimates will put you at OG 1.054, FG 1.015, 5.08% ABV (at 75% efficiency). Allagash clocks in at 5.1% so that's pretty damn close. Rice hulls would certainly be helpful to keep the mash from getting too sticky.

As far as hopping goes, it seems you definitely don't want to break 15 IBUs. I'm really new to developing hop schedules, but when I do my brew, I'm probably going to aim for:

.2 oz Nugget (whole, ~14%AA) @ 60
.2 oz Crystal (whole, ~4% AA) @ 30
.2 oz Czech Saaz (whole, ~3.5% AA) @ 15

...which BrewersFriend suggests will put me right about 14 IBUs. If you're rocking pellets you can drop the Crystal and Saaz down to .15 each or just drop the Nugget down to .15. Please feel free to correct me on this, this is rough calculation at best.

Sorry for the long post, but it seems like there's a lot of available data across the interwebs that, for one reason or another, has not all been drawn together. I hope this is helpful to someone!

First time poster here, so take this with a grain of salt, but...it seems very few people think to consult Allagash's own website for the info.

From their own page:

"Grains: Allagash 2-Row Malted Barley Blend, Red Wheat Malt, Raw White Wheat, Oats, Carapils

Taking into account the first post in this thread (yeah, it's from six years ago and I am very late to the party) which suggests using 15% wheat malt and 25% raw wheat, plus the info straight from Allagash, my amateur-ish guess at the proportions are:

25% raw wheat (I've heard of some people grinding and mashing raw wheat berries, but I'm pretty new to brewing so I'll stick with flaked for the time being)
15% wheat malt
5% flaked oats
5% Carapils

5# 2-row
2.5# raw/flaked wheat
1.5# wheat malt
.5# flaked oats
.5# CaraPils

...which BrewersFriend estimates will put you at OG 1.054, FG 1.015, 5.08% ABV (at 75% efficiency). Allagash clocks in at 5.1% so that's pretty damn close. Rice hulls would certainly be helpful to keep the mash from getting too sticky.

As far as hopping goes, it seems you definitely don't want to break 15 IBUs. I'm really new to developing hop schedules, but when I do my brew, I'm probably going to aim for:

...which BrewersFriend suggests will put me right about 14 IBUs. If you're rocking pellets you can drop the Crystal and Saaz down to .15 each or just drop the Nugget down to .15. Please feel free to correct me on this, this is rough calculation at best.

Sorry for the long post, but it seems like there's a lot of available data across the interwebs that, for one reason or another, has not all been drawn together. I hope this is helpful to someone!

The recipe in the first post came from the head brewer himself. The hops on the Allagash website have also not always been what's listed on there now. I brewed this a few months ago and at that time they weren't advertised the same.

The 2 row blend that they use is actually a blend of two row malts that include Pilsner malt. Pilsner is a 2 row malt....

From their own page:

15% wheat malt
5% flaked oats
5% Carapils

5# 2-row
2.5# raw/flaked wheat
1.5# wheat malt
.5# flaked oats
.5# CaraPils

The hops your using are not the correct variety. In the book brewing with wheat they outline the recipe. Pale, unmalted white wheat, malted red wheat. Hops perle, tettnang, saaz. With the pitching temp and fermentation. They use a house strain that I think is a blend of two or three yeast but I'm not sure. As for ibu use beer smith ap knowing perle is a bitter in hop the other two are aroma. It also shows the ibu's at 21. Get the book it's a great resource.

The hops your using are not the correct variety. In the book brewing with wheat they outline the recipe. Pale, unmalted white wheat, malted red wheat. Hops perle, tettnang, saaz. With the pitching temp and fermentation. They use a house strain that I think is a blend of two or three yeast but I'm not sure. As for ibu use beer smith ap knowing perle is a bitter in hop the other two are aroma. It also shows the ibu's at 21. Get the book it's a great resource.

The book isn't up to date. Look on the Allagash website they specify what hops they use.

The book isn't up to date. Look on the Allagash website they specify what hops they use.

I did look at the Web site and yes they do show those hops. But in my experience, and I have brewed this many many many times. The book was spot on with the bittering and overall flavor profile. You could do a side by side to find out which is closer to the real deal. I would be curious to hear about the results.

It's is an allagash clone and raw wheat is used per the brewer anything else is just your version of a wit. Cereal mashes are not hard. Grind up with coffee grinder. 121 for 15 min 152 for 20 min bring to low boil for 20 the infuse into main mash and get the main mash up to sac rest. Then normal sparge and boil use the hops from brewing with wheat allagash recipe target ibus 21 use beer smith to get your ratios for the hops. Low spices and orange they are back note's most flavor is yeast driven. If you can get allagash house yeast off bottles use it. Ferm temp is also in brewing with wheat recipe.

They also spin it in a centrafuge to keep the look but most of us don't have that equipment. (Taken out of brewing with wheat book)

I'll go ahead and quote you on your own statement. Per the brewery they use different hops now than Tettnang and Saaz so anything other than that is just your preferred version of a wit not an Allagash White clone. Have you even tried brewing it with their newer version? My guess is not since they just recently changed it. You may not have even had their latest one either, but I don't know. They could have been using these hops for a lot longer and didn't update the site until recently.

Only point I was trying to make is using those hops isn't a clone anymore, after all this is a clone thread isn't it? Not a "old Allagash white clone"

Back