Wit? Or....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmclar1

Reaction score
Brewed a wit a few weeks ago with a friend of mine, and she nor I looked at the wheat DME label that said it was 65% wheat and 35% barley, both of us just assumed it was 100% wheat. Mixed this with an equal amount of Pils DME, added blood oranges and pitched Wyeast 3944.

So. I have a "Wit" with less wheat and more barley than the style calls for and blood orange sub'd in for coriander, orange peel, and other spices.

Anyone have any idea how this might turn out stylistically, or lack thereof? Thanks.

A wit gets most of its characteristic flavors from the yeast and spices. I'd be surprised if you noticed much of a difference. For future reference, I think most if not all extracts labelled as wheat are really a blend of wheat and barley in about that ratio.

Second the above. You won't notice much of a difference. The wheat just provides a bit of acidity, some head retention, and a bit of cloudiness. You'll still have those characters.

And +1 on the yeast comment. That's the single most important ingredient in a hefe, wit etc.

I have never seen 100% wheat DME. If your recipe called for wheat DME, you used what you're supposed to.

Latest posts

Back