Wit Beer Split: Whiteout vs Kveiking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden123982

Reaction score
Had a bunch of cilantro go to seed this year so decided to make a wit beer. The coriander was a smaller seed than the kind I've bought at the homebrew store and taste a lot different as well. More citrusy, less of the somewhat meaty flavor coriander has... Wanted to make it interesting by throwing some kveik at half of the batch to see what it turns out. Recipe below, results to come.

13 gallon batch (1 gallon pulled off to grow up some yeasts I was running low on)

Pilsner 12#
Wheat 9#
Flaked wheat 2#
Flaked oats 2#
Acidulated 0.5#

Hops:
Pahto 0.4 oz - 60 mins
Pahto 0.4 oz @ 160F - 10 mins

Other:
1 oz coriander seed - 10 mins
1 oz bitter orange peel - 10 mins
1 oz silver needles tea leaf @ 160F - 10 mins

Yeast:
6 gallons rec'd Imperial Whiteout - ferm @ 66F w/ ramp to 80F
6 gallons rec'd Imperial Kveiking (1 tsp) - ferm @ 95F

SG was 1.050

Dry spice:
Will be adding ~0.3-0.4 oz coriander @ high krausen to each batch

The kveiking did its thing pretty quick at 95F, nothing unusual. Surprisingly it was the Whiteout that needed a blow off. I attached a ferm wrap to it yesterday to allow it to ramp and finish out.

Hoping to taste and keg soon. Need some more keg space though... hoping this weekend and upcoming homebrew share meeting help out

I've always had massive krausen when using Wyeast 3944, which I believe to be the same as the Imperial Whiteout strain. Even my starter on a stir plate develops a krausen.

It was pretty impressive how high it got... ended up getting a second round of blow off on day 6 about 24 hours after I added a therm wrap + blanket

Back