Wit Braggot - Krausen won't drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute2

Reaction score
I brewed up a simple Belgian Wit braggot three weeks ago. The fermentables are strictly 4 lbs. of Wheat DME and 5 lbs honey. I haven't seen airlock activity for over a week. I popped my primary open today to get an SG reading and there's still a very thick, yeasty krausen on top of the wort/beer/braggot/whatever. My SG is down somewhere between 1.01 and 1.02 (hard to tell with all the krausen), right where it should be. Is it safe to bottle, or do I need to wait for the krausen to drop? Thanks.

Forgot to mention that I used a double shot of Wyeast 3944

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you can wait for the krausen to drop that would be better, if the krausen is still up most of the time it means your beer is still fermenting.

Take another hydrometer test in 2 days, if it is the same then it is ready for bottling :)

You're at over 50% honey which is likely causing some issues. Honey is deplete of the typical nutrients found in an all-malt wort which can cause the yeast to slow down and grind to a stop. Typically mead makers will do multiple staggered nutrient additions to combat this.

Hmmm. I figured the DME would provide enough nutrients and my SG is pretty low.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For me Wyeast 3944 has always been an initially aggressive yeast that slows down and keeps going forever. I have seen some people suggest knocking the krausen down. I usually just give it more time. I let the last wit I made ferment for about 6 weeks before kegging.

Back