Wiring Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Before I get myself in trouble, can somebody comment on whether I can drill these stacked studs?

This is the outside wall of my garage -- load bearing. There are two spots where there are 5 sandwiched 2x6s supporting beams up above. I'll be drilling two holes centered and vertically arranged ~6" apart (either 3/4" or 1"), 1 for x2 12-2 and 1 for x1 10-3 (the inspector indicated that all 3 runs in one hole could be considered bundling).

Edit: I should add that I think the 40% rule applies, but it's not explicit about stacked studs.

20120616-DSC_1370.jpg

That's funny, I saw your other thread and as an electrician, first thing that came to mind was to dig out the bit extensions.

We drill through stuff like that all the time. If you're drilling a series of holes like you indicated, you'll be fine. Got a right angle drill?

That's funny, I saw your other thread and as an electrician, first thing that came to mind was to dig out the bit extensions.

We drill through stuff like that all the time. If you're drilling a series of holes like you indicated, you'll be fine. Got a right angle drill?

Thanks! I was looking through old pictures of our previous 3 story townhome. It had stacked 2x6's everywhere and the builders went to town on them drilling for wiring and plumbing.

I have a right angle drill attachment and a handful of extensions that I hope will live through the abuse. 3/4" auger bit shouldn't be too hard on it. If I'm lucky I'll be done today :)

Latest posts

Back