Wiring on high voltage side of SSR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisguy0605

Reaction score
I’ve searched the net and this forum extensively and haven’t found the specific answer I’m looking for so here’s my question.

When wiring a SSR, if there is no polarity indicated on the high voltage side, does it matter which terminal the power supply connects to? Every diagram I’ve seen has it connecting to terminal 1, but the Hosehead 5BC I have has it wired to terminal 2 with a jumper to the second SSR (also terminal 2). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I’ve searched the net and this forum extensively and haven’t found the specific answer I’m looking for so here’s my question.

When wiring a SSR, if there is no polarity indicated on the high voltage side, does it matter which terminal the power supply connects to? Every diagram I’ve seen has it connecting to terminal 1, but the Hosehead 5BC I have has it wired to terminal 2 with a jumper to the second SSR (also terminal 2). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If it's an AC SSR, there is no polarity on the load side.

(DC SSRs exist, but you shouldn't find them on this forum or for brewing use; the terminals on AC SSRs are going to marked with "~", typically).

Assuming we are talking about an SSR that switches AC current, there is no polarity and thus either terminal can be connected to the line and either to the load. I believe convention is to usually wire terminal 1 to the line and terminal 2 to the load, but since the current is alternating, it doesn't really matter.

Awesome! That’s what I suspected but just wanted to confirm.

With the hosehead, there’s two 25amp AC SSR’s. The 50amp supply is wired to terminal 2 on the one and there’s 30amp rated wire connecting each SSR. I’m planning a new build and don’t want to base the wiring off of this if it’s incorrect. See below.

Attachments

• 847F5B67-084D-48DD-B3ED-21F8E0BB7FE0.jpeg
    847F5B67-084D-48DD-B3ED-21F8E0BB7FE0.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Back