Wiring heating elements in parralel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewslikeaking

Reaction score
I need to wire two heating elements to the same controller. If I wire them in parralel will they double the wattage?

http://brausupply.com/products/brau-mini-controller-with-timer-and-alarm

This temp controller takes up to 2000 watt heating element. If I put two of these elements in parralel with it double the wattage output to 4000? Will I need a controller capable of handling more wattage

I don't think brau is gonna cut it. I think you are going to be making your own. Maybe ebrewsupply can build something for ya. It would be a simple build. One PID triggering two SSRs with two 115vac inputs and outputs.

Yes 2 2000w elements together will be 4000w. That controller will not work for that application. Also if you are planning on just plugging in to a 120v outlet in your house to power the 2 elements you will be overloading that circuit. 4000 watts at 120v will draw around 33 amps.

Yes 2 2000w elements together will be 4000w. That controller will not work for that application. Also if you are planning on just plugging in to a 120v outlet in your house to power the 2 elements you will be overloading that circuit. 4000 watts at 120v will draw around 33 amps.

Even if I use 2 outlets for 2 heating elements? Or did u mean the controller with 2 heating elements plugged into one outlet? I'm a little confused, any advice? What would u do? I want to build a capable 15gallon rims system with 120v

Even if I use 2 outlets for 2 heating elements? Or did u mean the controller with 2 heating elements plugged into one outlet? I'm a little confused, any advice? What would u do? I want to build a capable 15gallon rims system with 120v

If you use two on two outlet, have one always on at boil and the other on that controller. For Mash, plug in only the one on the controller.

Those two outlets need to be separate circuits. That can't be stressed enough. You will need to make sure that two breakers in your panel are powering a 2-element setup like this.

Those two outlets need to be separate circuits. That can't be stressed enough. You will need to make sure that two breakers in your panel are powering a 2-element setup like this.

+1, you need each element to be on a dedicated circuit, they can't both be on the same circuit. You could use that controller along with some SSRs, so the controller would essentially be controlling the SSRs. But the SSRs would each need to be connected to dedicated circuits.

Back