Wiring Drum Switch for Motorized Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusa

Reaction score
I am wiring a drum switch to control the motor for my grain mill. The switch is Dayton 2x440 and the motor is All American Ale Works Power Grinder.

The following are the motor and switch wiring diagrams, followed by what I think is the correct way to wire this. Are there any problems with the way I am planning to do this?

wiring_diagram.jpg

1.png

Untitled2.png

Hi, I'm looking to wire up this same switch to a power grinder motor, were you ever able to figure out the correct wiring designations?

Thanks,

John

Just an FYI. You don't need reverse with that motor. It will chew through 20 lbs of grain loaded in a hopper from a dead stop. I'd suggest you shoot steve an email at ale works. He will confirm your wiring for you.

I just use a simple $5 toggle on mine but I get the cool factor

but I get the cool factor

I'm personally not doing it for the cool factor, my last motor got stuck NUMEROUS times where I had to back the roller up by hand. I get this motor will vastly outperform what I had before but my fingers want it there for safety reasons should I ever get jammed up.

Update: you may want reverse for wheat. I just milled 20 lbs of unmalted white wheat and 20 lbs of red wheat. @.025 gap and it did slow the motor to a crawl and could have stopped it. This was with a full hopper from a dead stop with 20 lbs in the hopper.

I did finally get it all wired up with the help from someone on another forum, I made a wiring diagram for anyone here trying to do the same. This worked perfectly, just swap the #3 and #4 wire positions to orient the direction you want paired to FWD or REV.

drum_wiring_rsxwby.jpg

Update: you may want reverse for wheat. I just milled 20 lbs of unmalted white wheat and 20 lbs of red wheat. @.025 gap and it did slow the motor to a crawl and could have stopped it. This was with a full hopper from a dead stop with 20 lbs in the hopper.

Yeah, I'll sleep better knowing it has the ability to back out of some grain it over-committed to. Cheers.

I did finally get it all wired up with the help from someone on another forum, I made a wiring diagram for anyone here trying to do the same. This worked perfectly, just swap the #3 and #4 wire positions to orient the direction you want paired to FWD or REV.

drum_wiring_rsxwby.jpg

Yeah...I have a Leeson 115V/230V motor that I'm going to use this type of switch for...here is the schematic. If anyone can help, let me know...

http://www.leeson.com/CnxDocRequest/PublishedPDF/grf_swd-0130015419_00500501_402791434_355.pdf

motor.jpg

This thread helped, plus another thread, to get my motor and switch wired up. Mr. Walleye had some good info that melded with the diagram in this thread and I wanted to post a photo and those comments such that they may help others. Dayton drum switch and the 1/2 hp All-American Aleworks motor.

Mr Walleye said:
I have been trying to help jrmontecarlo wire a new motor he just received.

It appears the new motors have a slightly different wiring setup than the original motors and have six wires terminating at a block in the motor junction box, rather than four wires coming out of the motor junction box.

If anyone gets one of these motors know that the All American directions are not very clear on how to wire the motor to a drum switch if you want reverse, but work great if you only want it to go one direction.

If you want to use a drum switch to get your motor to reverse, you will need to fashion the four wire cable (5 with ground) yourself that goes between the switch and motor.

Then:
Motor wire 1 & 3 connect to drum switch terminal 2
Motor wires 2 & 4 connect to drum switch terminal 6
Motor wire 5 connect to drum switch terminal 3
Motor wire 6 connect to drum switch terminal 4
Drum switch terminals 1 & 5 remain the hot and neutral feeds respectively.
This should make the motor turn clockwise when the drum switch is set to forward, and counterclockwise in reverse.

This was some nice help...thanks Mr Walleye. My motor and drum switch are now moving my mill in either a forward or reverse direction. Forgive my color selections for my wire, but I used what I had on hand to replicate Mr. Walleye's wiring instructions, above. The motor arrived with each of the six wires labeled...I removed them and then attached them as described, above, It doesn't matter which terminal you select on that top bus...just ensure 1 & 3 are on a single terminal and then you connect your wire on the terminal directly below running to the switch (terminal 2 on the drum switch, in this case). Then put 2 & 4 on another terminal on the top bus, with the next wire connecting directly below it on the bottom bus running to terminal 6. Keep going...it works!

Back