winter olympics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol...guess i deserved that one! hell of a game. congrats :mug:

Ya sorry dude, but I kept my mouth shut waiting for this moment. *%$# typical Canadian politeness that's in our water/beer that stopped me from rassing you guys on.
I'm just so stoked that it went to overtime... show the world where the best players are from heheh

Gonna catch the closing and get back to yas. :tank::mug:

Ya sorry dude, but I kept my mouth shut waiting for this moment. *%$# typical Canadian politeness that's in our water/beer that stopped me from rassing you guys on.

Heh, me too. I went looking for this thread when the game ended but you'd already beat me to it. I didn't want to rub it in too much especially since cowperc was gracious in defeat. Not only that, the US played so well that I didn't want to diminish their performance by gloating. :p

What a show Canada put on :tank:
Damn it end's tonight :(

Looking forward to the closing ceremonies in an hour.

BTW We have the record for most Gold in a Winter Olympics AND the most from a host country!
Congrats to USA for the most medals, let's drink to this :mug:

It really was a great game. I was really impressed by Canada's defense in the first and second periods, and of course their offense! I felt that at the end, it could have gone either way. It was a great game to finish the Olympics.

HEY Yoop! It was edge-of-the-seat game that made it so exciting and a fit way to end it. Getting pretty druk and almost out of beer :(
Gonna have to get some local mass stuff. DAMN! It's gonna suck :(

That game really could have gone either way. What a great match-up!

Canadians were REALLY hoping for a win in hockey today because it was our last chance to win a gold. On the line was the all-time record for most Gold Medals ever at a winter olympics, and they did it. Pretty decent accomplishment for a country that is only 11% the population size of USA, 41% the size of Germany, and only 2.5% as big as China.

Canada couldn't be prouder of its atheletes right now.

:rockin:

it really was an incredible game. i feel so bad for Miller -- he played lights out through the whole Olympic Games. i thought we handled the puck great (Erik Johnson in particular wowed me with some of his stickhandling through traffic) but i was more impressed with the Canadian pressure...it was like a basketball full court press every time we got control in our own zone.

silver sucks right now, but Team USA has nothing to be ashamed of -- they beat the Gold and Bronze medal teams, and took the title game to OT. not too shabby for a group of guys who weren't even supposed to contend for a medal.

Congrats hosers, eh! lol

I had a feeling he was going to play "long may you run". Not a fan of the comedy part of the closing ceremony.

great hockey game, that is why i didn't want to play Canada again. Damn that kid! Beats Sabres in a shoot out in the winter classic, beats the US in overtime in the olympics, probably beat the sabres tuesday night....

YOOP's WHIP iS BACK! All is right with the world...

Yeah, opening and losing ceremonies are not my thing, and inflatable beavers suck (that sounds weird).

I rather enjoyed watching the WO on TV. Now I have to catch up with Top Gear and Axe Men...

Can someone confirm whether Mel Brooks orchestrated the closing ceremonies? That was just surreal. I understand that the mounted police are pretty big up there, but come on!!

I actually liked the inflatable beavers and moose (meese?). It made me feel like it was Thanksgiving.

I understand that the mounted police are pretty big up there, but come on!!

Actually, mounties are not so big up here. We do have them, but they don't ride around town on horses or anything.

The closing ceremonies were a little tongue-in-cheek, and showed a lot of Canadian stereotypes. Pretty funny stuff. The question is whether other countries realized we were poking a little fun at ourselves with the stereotypes, or whether other countries will think that our cops actually ride around on horses down Main Street, and that we have pet moose. :drunk:

Actually, mounties are not so big up here. We do have them, but they don't ride around town on horses or anything.

The closing ceremonies were a little tongue-in-cheek, and showed a lot of Canadian stereotypes. Pretty funny stuff. The question is whether other countries realized we were poking a little fun at ourselves with the stereotypes, or whether other countries will think that our cops actually ride around on horses down Main Street, and that we have pet moose. :drunk:

I don't think anyone would believe we have pet moose because of the sheer size of them. Most of us keep beaver as pets but they come with their own challenges. They're often very fast little buggers and they'll escape from the house and go romping down the street. If left untended they'll actually begin to cut down trees in people's yards! So it's not unusual to see a bunch of Canadians running around town chasing beaver. In fact, chasing beaver can sometimes be considered a popular winter pasttime up here.

I don't think anyone would believe we have pet moose because of the sheer size of them. Most of us keep beaver as pets but they come with their own challenges. They're often very fast little buggers and they'll escape from the house and go romping down the street. If left untended they'll actually begin to cut down trees in people's yards! So it's not unusual to see a bunch of Canadians running around town chasing beaver. In fact, chasing beaver can sometimes be considered a popular winter pasttime up here.

I used to chase beaver all the time when I was younger!

Congrats to Canada for Hockey Gold, most gold medals evar, and a great olympics in general. I'd love to go to BC some day.

IMO, the Canada Women's Hockey Team should not have apologized. They had absolutely nothing to apologize for. They worked their butt off, played their butt off, and then did what every other friggin' team does after a championship victory. If anything the sports media owes them an apology for being so judgemental. Baseball teams have champagne-spewing parties in their plastic covered locker rooms just for making the playoffs and nobody bats an eye. And these women get flak for a private party on the ice? Double standard imo.

Sorry my Canadian friends. I hope you didn't take my post as a slight against Canada. I think Canada did an amazing job in hosting the Olympics. I don't recall ever watching this much of the games before this year.

I just felt the closing ceremonies were a bit weird. But that's culture for you. Everyone else's can seem strange when viewed through another's eyes.

I agree with whomever posted that they would love to come up and visit one day. I had never thought of doing that before.

Don't apologize to those hoser's! They stole our gold in mens hockey. Admit it, you were out played and lucked out!

CP-OurGold.jpg

Maybe not "lucked" out, but the US did carry the play most of the game.

If the US carried the play most of the game, why didn't it translate into more goals? There's a reason the puck didn't go into the net. Was it good defense or poor offense? As you say, it's not reasonable to credit luck with 60 minutes of hockey.

The only explanation is that neither team carried the play most of the game. I'd like to see the stats of the amount of time spent in each other's ends and the number of shots on goal. That will tell the story. We might perhaps be a bit biased rooting for our favorites.

Now, I know damned all about hockey......But if it can be compared in any way at all to soccer (I think it can) then the part that I saw (Overtime) had the Canadians all over the US apart from a couple of break away chances. No "lucking out" involved.

If the US carried the play most of the game, why didn't it translate into more goals? There's a reason the puck didn't go into the net. Was it good defense or poor offense? As you say, it's not reasonable to credit luck with 60 minutes of hockey.
I dunno crap aboot hockey but I think the first game between US/Canada was just this. US got outplayed but got lucky. This gold medal game was imo pretty damn close but Canada played better once they went to 4-on-4.

I also agree that the US was making a lot of long shots where the Canada team seemed to take better shots.

All hail Jonathan Toews!

Wow! What a tourney he had. He showed the world that he is an elite player on both ends of the ice at just 21 years old.

He will be an immeasurably valuable asset to Team Canada for many years and I hope he wears the C in Chicago until he retires.

I'm gonna apply the paddles to this "only mostly dead" thread because tbh I don't think the Twenty-Twenty-Whatever Winter Olympics deserve a thread.

But I do have something to say: in a world where fairy tale endings are expected it was refreshing to see Shaun White go out sans additional jewelry and just enjoy his run for what it was: phenomenal.

And on the flip side...seeing Lindsey Jacobellis finally slay her personal Olympic Curse after 5 tries (2006/10/14/18/22) was cool. I appreciate dedication as long as it isn't obviously the vanity project of an overcooked contestant.

That is all. Go about your business ;)

Cheers!

You can find a stream for pretty much everything if you look...and have a VPN account for safety's sake...

Cheers! ("Let's be careful out there" :))

Back