wings for superbowl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseyale

Reaction score
are you making your wings this year or buying them? If buying, where from?

If making, are you frying, baking, grilling etc.

Those look really, really good.

I'll be deep-frying some wings and maybe some on the grill too.

The grilled ones would be straight up grilled then sauced towards the end with traditional buffalo and a spicy bbq sauce.

The deep-fried wings will be dusted with plain white flour (not battered, just dusted) then deep-fried. Hot out of the oil they will be liberally sprinkled with Famous Dave's Chickn' Wing Seasoning. Some of these might get sauce too.

Wings are hard to screw up. They are probably the tastiest part of the chicken. The only better part the rooster got!

If it's lousy outside, I'll roast them in the broiler. If they are the fresh kind, I like to boil them for a few minutes to get some fat off the skin so they crisp better and I think it makes them more tender. Then I'll do some seasoning of Adobo, garlic powder and smoked paprika and roast under the broiler. I'll do a final coat of Sweet Baby Rays or teriyaki or Franks hot sauce or whatever and give them a final char.

The best place for hot wings is upstate NY. I've never been to Buffalo, but went to school in Elmira. They are masters of the wing up there. Around here they charge a buck a wing and coat them in breading first, then sauce. Disgusting!

The other day we had some hot wings with my 7 year old. I taught him one of the most valuable lessons in life that day. "Son, if all you do is pick out the one-boners, no one will want to be your friend"

Adam Perry Lang wings. I used to be a fried wing and sauce kinda guy, now I absolutely will not make hot wings at home any other way than APL. My mod is using a crapton of mashed fresh garlic in the hot sauce so the wings are covered in garlic when you brush/dip them while cooking. There is some prep work but I think the results are amazing. Just talking about it now makes me want to make them next weekend.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1562078&posted=1#post1562078

Adam Perry Lang wings. I used to be a fried wing and sauce kinda guy, now I absolutely will not make hot wings at home any other way than APL. My mod is using a crapton of mashed fresh garlic in the hot sauce so the wings are covered in garlic when you brush/dip them while cooking. There is some prep work but I think the results are amazing. Just talking about it now makes me want to make them next weekend.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1562078&posted=1#post1562078

^yeah im gonna give those a try for sure!

I'm really particular about my wings but I'm also the type who doesn't write recipes down.

My rough recipe for making wings (fried duh, only make them a few times a year so might as well indulge)

First and foremost I only fry in peanut oil. I would consider frying in lard but that's a more expensive venture.

I get the wings, dry them with a paper towel and dredge them in a mixture of corn starch, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt. Let it sit for a little bit on the wings then start frying. Fry them until they're perfect. For the sauce I always make at least 2 sauces. A Weeny sauce for people in my family who can't handle a heat then my experimental heat sauce. The Weeny sauce is typically franks, butter, some brown sugar, some cider vinegar, and a dash of tabasco. My experimental sauce I usually go with bonkers cause me and my brother are usually the only ones who eat it and we can go very spice. We both had Ghost Chili Wings. I think this year my sauce is gonna be franks, butter, vinegar, brown sugar (not my usual choice for wing sauce), some regular tabasco and this Ghost Chili/Habenero all natural hot sauce we bought.

Also this year I'm kickign aroudn the idea of trying different dips. We usually just have a bottle of blue cheese or ranch, this year I'm thinking of making a cheddar ranch dip or maybe even my beer cheese dip. Usually though I just like my wings au natural.

Back