Winemaking from fresh juice: Tomato

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickSweetman

Reaction score
Day 01: 21 March 2014
3 litres of juice from 5.5 kg skinned fresh tomato.
Juiced with a Hurom slow juicer.
The juice included a great deal of pulp and the pulp included a great deal of juice so they were filtered through cloth to give a straw-coloured juice.
Specific gravity = 1.0066 = 2.1 % sugar.
Yeast + 337 g sugar was added.
Day 02: bubbling every 6 seconds.

Tomato 01.jpg

Tomato day 02.jpg

Day 03: Bubbling every 3 seconds. There is some semi-stable foam, but it doesn't threaten to overwhelm the headspace. Looking excellent.

Day 04: Foamed out the top of the airlock. Dropped in a toothpick dipped in Dow Corning Silicone Antifoam and the foam subsided.

Tomato wine taste like tomato juice. With a kick of corse. Can't say I would make it twice. But tomato wine is better then tossing the tomatoes!! Maybe I should make a bloody mary...

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Good to hear from somebody that has made it before. Google search suggests that the taste is more subtle and not immediately identifiable as tomato. The lees have a very good tomato taste, like fresh tomato, not the pickled tomato taste of Ketchup. Makes a nice sandwich spread.

Tomato wine is what made me decide to try and ferment something. I did not care for the tomato wine I was offered a sip of but have enjoyed this hobby quite a lot.

Tomato wine taste like tomato juice. With a kick of corse. Can't say I would make it twice. But tomato wine is better then tossing the tomatoes!! Maybe I should make a bloody mary...

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Oh, a well made tomato wine is fantastic! I have a recipe posted in the database (under my avatar on the left), and the first 6 months I was thinking "oh, yuck- pizza wine!" and then within a year it changed into this wonderful beautiful golden white wine that was fruity and elegant.

I served it to some special guests, and asked them to identify the wine. Several guessed things like pinot grigio, but one said, "It reminds me of something, though, in the nose" and I said "tomato?" and he said, "YES! That's it!". But no one guessed it was actually a tomato wine!

I didn't do anything like described in this thread, as I don't juice my fruit before making wine, but it was a marvelous wine and I highly recommend it as a good use of leftover garden tomatoes.

Edit- here is the link to the recipe and notes: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/tomato-wine-52828/

Back