Winemaking from fresh juice: Onion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickSweetman

Reaction score
Day 01: 21 March 2014
3 litres of juice from 8 kg onion.
The onions were peeled, juiced, and filtered through cloth.
Specific gravity = 1.0361 = 10.0 % sugar.
Yeast was added.

By day 2 fermentation had not started, so the high S.G. was ascribed to suspended solids and not to dissolved sugar.
Day 02: 400 g sugar added.

Onion day 02.jpg

If it retains the full piquancy of the onions when it is mature then it should be useful as a marinade. It doesn't have to be a palatable drink, though that would be nice. I also have carrot, celery and ... cabbage fermenting.

It does sound interesting. I didn't mean to be so harsh. It probably would be a nice marinade. Hope it works out for you. I bet the carrot one is bangin.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

It would be interesting to combine some stuff purely towards making a savory cooking wine... you could even include some pot herbs as a bouquet garnis. Bay, savory, chervil, tarragon. Or something along those lines.

Day 03: Only very slight evidence of fermentation. Maybe something in the onion is suppressing the yeast. I will leave it a couple of days to equilibrate.

Day 05: Added an active starter culture prepared overnight with fresh apple juice. Later, bubbling every 8 seconds. Only time will tell if it takes off.

You sound like me and some of my experiments. Best of luck to you. These are often terrible to drink but make great marinade.

Back