Fruit bomb melomel, & how to know how much sugar has been depleted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmdog

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. I made my first mead a few days ago, a fruit bomb melomel inspired by Curt Stock. Here's the make procedure I wrote up and followed:

• 21 lbs (9.5 kg) | My own Wildflower Honey
  • 12 lbs (5.4 kg) | Triple Berry Mix (Blackberries/Raspberries/Blueberries)
  • 6 lbs (2.7) | Strawberries
  • 96 oz (2.72 kg) | Black Currant Juice
  • 2.3 gal (8.7 L) | Water
  • 3 tsp Yeast Energizer/Nutrient Blend (1tsp Fermaid-K and 2tsp DAP for 5-gallon batch)
  • 10 g (0.35 oz) | Lalvin Narbonne Yeast (71B-1122
Procedure
  • Sanitized all equipment.
  • Mash the bagged fruit with my hands in drain bag.
  • Used enough honey (2 gallons) and water to get a total volume of 4.5 gallons (excluding fruit).
  • Put all the fruit into fermenting pail. Temp of mead must should was 75°F.
  • Used a degasser to mix the must and completely dissolve the honey.
  • After the honey dissolved, stirred vigorously for a few minutes to aerate the must.
  • Prepared yeast by re-hydrating with Go-Ferm
  • Introduced must into jar with the yeast/go-ferm and got it kicking after 15 mins or so.
  • Pitched the yeast
  • Added the first SNA and mix well.
  • Used a hydrometer to take OG. OG was 1.120
  • Fermentation began in 6 hours, so I continued the SNA schedule below.
My question relates to the Staggered Nutrient Addition schedule. Here's what I've done so far:
  • Added ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix immediately after pitching yeast.
  • Added ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix 24 hours after fermentation began.
  • Added ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix 48 hours after fermentation began.
Now, I'm supposed to add the final ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix after 30% of the sugar has been depleted. How do I calculate when that will be?

Sorry for the naive question...just trying to figure it out.

Back