Wine yeast for dry hopping/finishing a DIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltisotan

Reaction score
Alright, bear with my madness for a bit.

Recently I've been very interested in hop glycosides. Unlocking that special citrus/hop flavor I love so much is something I've been chasing with every IPA I've made.

On my latest batch (brewed Sunday 6/21) I did 1 oz Mosiac/1 oz Amarillo/1 oz Citra with 10 minutes left and also as a hop stand at 150 for 45 minutes. The plan originally was to let the beer finish primary, feed it a pound of sugar (4.5 gallons at 1.071 right now, expecting roughly to add 10 points with the sugar) then hit it with my 3 oz combo again for a week. Then I read an article that is throwing me for a loop.

I read in the recent BYO about hop glycosides, and how with the right yeast they can transform the flavor of the hops. Since I'm not looking for the fresh green smell and instead want that fruit, this perked my attention.

The article mentioned that Brewers yeast was terrible at this biotransformation, however, except for one strain. LD40. So I started looking for it, but without much luck. Did find the study through with it mentioned (here:http://www.researchgate.net/profile...ing_yeasts/links/543ff4aa0cf2be1758cff3c0.pdf).

That article does mention a wine yeast they used though, and found a great ability for biotransformation with that wine yeast. So I started looking into that, the Uvaferm 228. Through some searching, I found the name of the strain, and the associated White Labs product WLP727 (NB page here:http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/cider-mead-sake/white-labs-wlp727-steinberg-geisenheim).

So now I get to thinking. Here I have an alcohol tolerant yeast, that's more attenuative than my Brewers yeast, and is exceptional with hop glycosides. What if I crash out the Brewers yeast when it finishes with the sugar, then pitch a bit more sugar, the wine yeast, and my dry hops? Is this gonna be the flavors my wrecked palate has been searching for?

Basically, is my logic sane? Besides oxidation, is there a risk I'm missing? Has anyone tried something similar?

Sounds interesting! Some wine yeasts are killer yeasts and will kill off any competing yeasts, which may result in off flavors. Be careful of using too much sugar AND introducing a highly attenuative yeast (I'm assuming it ferments maltotriose, do you know?), since that may dry your beer out double. Good luck!

Hey Baltisotan, very curious about your post, did you ever tried this and did it work? cheers

Back