Wine without sulfate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majed41

Reaction score
I'm planing to use NovaLager Yeast with Winexpert Kit to avoid producing sulfate/sulfur . at least that what the LalBrew claim that NovaLager doesn't produce sulfur .
however since sulfate works as preservative / antioxidant I'm planing to use ascorbic acid for that job instead

What you think ?

Using a yeast intended to make lager, not wine, might not be a good idea. For instance, it might not ferment out all the sugar in the wine kit to the correct a.b.v.

Personally, for best results, I'd closely follow the instructions in the Winexpert kit, and also use the wine yeast that came with the kit. They're the experts - it's in their name. They're a business trying to produce a good product so they get repeat customers, so their instructions and ingredients are tried and tested for good results. Don't try to overthink it yourself.

But you do you, as they say.

Last edited:
What's the motivation? Are you hyper-sensitive to sulfites or something? I have a nephew who gets migraines when his wife drinks too much red wine. Seriously.

Novalager doesn't produce hydrogen sulfide but I'm not sure that means you'll end up with a wine completely free of sulfur compounds.

Latest posts

Back