Wine Still Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlossMan

Reaction score
I recently started a batch of Merlot from a wine kit and the initial fermentation stage is supposed to be 5 to 12 days and then rack out of the bucket into the carboy. It's day 11 so I should rack tomorrow according to the instructions but I have one concern, i.e. it is still fermenting, burps about every 10 seconds. Is there a problem with racking it tomorrow if it's still fermenting?

Wine kit instructions are designed to get to your glass as soon as possible.
The burps could be fermentation or could be CO2 leaving solution, you don't really know.
In order to know for sure if fermentation is finished you need a hydrometer, same reading 2-3 days in a row and it is done.

However if you really want to rack this weekend to another vessel go for it; it should be done and if not it can continue fermenting in the secondary.
Just don't bottle until it is still. I would let it sit 6 months to 1 year in the secondary in the dark at cellar temperature.

Either let it set for another week or transfer to secondary. Just be patient, the wine flavors will evolve greatly for the first 3 to 4 months and then it should still improve but you will need a trained palate to tell the difference. :mug:

For what it is worth I have cheap wine expert that is a merlot and at 10 weeks it taste thin and young. I will wait till june to taste again!:mug:

Yeast are living organisms and they really don't work on the clock. There are all kinds of reasons why fermentation will take longer than the kit might suggest. I strongly agree with mredge73 - the kit people want you to have an empty fermenter screaming for you to refill with another kit. Use your hydrometer to check to see if the gravity has a) dropped to the level the kit manufacturer suggests it should be when fermentation has ceased and b) to check to see if the gravity is rock solid stable over three readings. If you are satisfied that everything is where it should be then proceed but if there is still residual sugar above the level referred to by the manufacturer and or if the gravity is still falling then patience is what is needed..

Fermenting isn't always done when you rack to secondary; I often rack at 1.020 when I make non-kit wines.

Follow your wine kit's instructions for when to rack, if you wait until the SG is under 1.000 or not before racking. That's important- following the instructions of your particular kit.

Thanks for the helpful advice. The SG registered .920 so I went ahead and racked it into the carboy.

I personally when doing kits (which is what I mainly do) 14 days 1st ferm 14-21 days second(no bubbling and SG below 1.00) then the 3rd rack if Im in a hurry (which now that I have a decent supply Im not anymore (well not as much lol) 7 days of doing the degassing and stopping of the yeast. 4th rack back sweeten(fpacks if any) 3-7 days then the clearing 10-21 days. (Now that Im not in a big hurry I add another 10-30 days as the 3rd and and push the 3rd rack above to the 4th and so on so instead of 6 weeks or so becomes 8-10 weeks. still fast but gives a bit more time ( Wish I had the sace so I could do more at once so I could do 6 months of bulk aging lol)

Max I am a beginner and dont understand why you rack it the 3rd and 4th time. I thought once it is off the yeast you were Good. Please explain!:mug:

Max I am a beginner and dont understand why you rack it the 3rd and 4th time. I thought once it is off the yeast you were Good. Please explain!:mug:

Multiple rackings over an extended timeframe are effective in removing sediment (lees) as it eventually settles and will lead to a clearer wine at the end. You just have to be careful not to oxidize the wine during racking. I purge my container with CO2 before moving wine over and top off sulfites by 20ppm or so.

Look up "90 day extended kit instructions" in your favorite google-like search engine.

It makes a world of difference.

Not as good as 180 days but still beats the heck out of 28 days.

Back