wine making fermentation stopped early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garvinator70

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i went to Homebrew store bought wine concentrate Blueberry added sugar and water pitched yeast ,OG was about .920-FG .500 need s to be 1.0000 FG IT has stopped Help Please.

Neither option 1.920 or .920 as the OG sound reasonable.. The first will kill the yeast through osmotic shock and the second has zero molecules of fermentable sugar...

i went to Homebrew store bought wine concentrate Blueberry added sugar and water pitched yeast ,OG was about .920-FG .500 need s to be 1.0000 FG IT has stopped Help Please.

I am guessing that when you add the specified volume of water to any fruit concentrate sold by a LHBS the starting gravity will be around 1.080 -1.095. After you pitch (add) wine yeast and wait two or three weeks (all other things being equal) the gravity will have dropped to between 1.000 and 0.996. Your actual readings and your desired readings (by your own words) don't make a great deal of sense in the wine making world with which I am familiar.

aha! But an FG of 1.050 will be very, very sweet: that is more than 1 lb of sugar in every gallon of liquid. That's equivalent to about 108 teaspoons of sugar in 8 pints. Or about 7 teaspoons of sugar in every cup (8 fl oz) of coffee . See what I mean by "sweet"? Your mead, your tastebuds… but most experienced wine makers on this forum would allow the yeast to ferment the wine or mead bone dry (1.000 or lower), stabilize the wine by adding k-meta and k-sorbate and then bench test to see how much they want to back sweeten the wine. How much added sweetness they add will depend on a number of factors, including their own personal preferences, but it will also involve the acidity of the wine, the strength of the fruit flavors in the wine, the amount of alcohol in the wine; the viscosity of the wine etc. You might find that a final gravity of about 1.010- 1.015 is sweet enough for a table wine and a higher gravity is better for a dessert wine (with a higher ABV)

Last edited:
aha! But an FG of 1.050 will be very, very sweet: [...]
I'm not the OP, just trying to make some sense of his posted numbers. In my first effort I then forgot to add the 0 after the "1.". :bott:

If 1.050 is indeed his FG, yes, it's way too sweet. Maybe due to a lack of nutrients or patience.

Until we hear back from the OP, providing us with the correct numbers, it's all a guessing game for us...

I think the yeast can still at this stage take up nutrients but a little higher ABV in the carboy and they cannot so any nutrients you add at that point become food for other microbes and fungi.

The yeast will be keen to keep going and wine yeast is a killer strain quite often, so try feeding it and as alcohol goes up less infiltrators will cause any trouble.

Back