Wine kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mallerstang

Let it go
Reaction score
I'm making wine from a kit for the first time in years - I've made many batches of fruit wine though, so I'm familiar with the general process. It's at day 12, and on track to reach 0.998 and proceed to stabilizing and clearing around day 14 as per the instructions.

I've followed the instructions to the letter except that it says the primary should be covered with a lid and airlock, but I have covered it loosely with just the lid as I've always done for fruit wines.

So I'm wondering if, now that it's below 1.010, is it ok to stay in the covered bucket without airlock until it reaches 0.998? Or should I move it to a carboy with airlock now?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'd definitely put it under an airlock if you have the equipment to do so. As I understand it, as fermentation is a lot less vigourous below 1.010 you'll have much less of a "blanket" of C02 gas forming just above the surface of the wine protecting it from oxygen and airborn contaminants (e.g. bacteria) that might adversely affect it.

The first 48 oxygen assists in starting the yeast, after that cap it off with airlock and let it go until 0.098, I usually go a little lower for dry reds but kits are reliable, the fermenting can be different from one kit to the next.

The first 48 oxygen assists in starting the yeast, after that cap it off with airlock and let it go until 0.098, I usually go a little lower for dry reds but kits are reliable, the fermenting can be different from one kit to the next.
Can I ask - do you use the sorbate in the kit when it's a dry wine? I never use it with fruit wines, and I'd prefer to leave it out. I thought about maybe leaving it under airlock for an extra month or so (after degassing and clearing) instead.

Well now that you have made a varietal preference I can say on dry kits I go 30 days on primary, then rack and follow the directions adding sorbate, sulfite and oak chips or powder, let that go 21 days then add remaining ingredients wait 21 more days then final racking, let that set 30 days then bottle. It will be very tasty and will get better in 6 months.

Can I ask - do you use the sorbate in the kit when it's a dry wine? I never use it with fruit wines, and I'd prefer to leave it out. I thought about maybe leaving it under airlock for an extra month or so (after degassing and clearing) instead.
Mallerstang, I would suggest that if you are new to wine making or new to kit making, that for the first kit or two you follow directions literally. Kits are manufactured to be as fail safe as possible and just about every action that just about any novice wine maker might take has been accounted for and neutralized. When you know how a kit wine tastes after the length of time that you as an experienced wine maker might age your own wines made from scratch, then it makes more sense for you to tweak the instructions. That said, it is hard for me to imagine why kit wines (and I have made only a handful in all my years of making country wines) instruct you to add sorbate even if the kit does not have you back sweeten: grape wines have a significant perception of sweetness even when brut dry. adding K-meta, is a very different story , as the sulfur binds with oxygen and extends the shelf life of your wine.

Back