Wine brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RamonaSD423

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm new to this homebrewing I heard wine can ferment within 3 days so I've got some questions...

I have not measured this out properly as I didn't really think I just experimented but so far I don't know if these things are normal...

1- the wine smells really strong!
2- the yeast is massive and has covered half of the 700ml
3- the yeast was a the top and now is completely at the bottom of the wine_"is this normal? "

So far I think it's going okay but I really need some 2nd hand experienced answers to see if this is okay or not.

Thanks a lot for the help and hope you're all well 😊!

700ml is not very much wine. Also, the solids from the fruit used will tend to settle out so that might not be all yeast you are seeing?
Perhaps put your recipe/process and a picture in and the "experts" can give their comments on what is going on.
:inbottle:

700ml is not very much wine. Also, the solids from the fruit used will tend to settle out so that might not be all yeast you are seeing?
Perhaps put your recipe/process and a picture in and the "experts" can give their comments on what is going on.
:inbottle:
Hey there!
Yeah I know it's not much for now but I just need it for 1 day and I'll be drinking it quickly haha! Thanks for the advice I will do that

Not enough information. What exactly did you do? Maybe we can predict what you'll end up with :) Aldi's or Sam's or Costco grape juice and a little sugar and wine yeast makes a pretty decent wine, but it takes a month or so. It's alcoholic after about 3 days but not very good. There are probably ways to speed it up; mainly with yeast selection and temperature.

In any case, welcome to the forum and good luck.

Not enough information. What exactly did you do? Maybe we can predict what you'll end up with :) Aldi's or Sam's or Costco grape juice and a little sugar and wine yeast makes a pretty decent wine, but it takes a month or so. It's alcoholic after about 3 days but not very good. There are probably ways to speed it up; mainly with yeast selection and temperature.

In any case, welcome to the forum and good luck.
Hey there, I used red grapes and riibena and extra strong + fast red wine yeast

When making red wine, mash up your grapes, let the juice and skins stay together and toss in your yeast. As fermentation moves along, the skins will float to the top. "Punch down" the floating cap of skins by simply pushing them down in the liquid with a potato masher or whatever else you have at least twice a day. After 3-7 days (depending on style of wine) you need to separate the skins from the juice using a press. You can make your own press using a couple of plastic buckets (look for you tube videos) or for a small amount just use a colander and press them the best you can. Fermentation should then finish in a carboy or jug with a stopper and an airlock, which takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Let it settle, then siphon to another container and let it settle some more. Aging is usually necessary with red wine.
Now is the time of year to look into ordering South American wine grapes and buckets of juice. Here's a local place near me, but look hunt around in your area for a supplier.
https://conzattis.com/order-chilean-wine-juice-spring-2022/Making wine with buckets of juice is super easy. Get a fermenter, (carboy or bucket) sanitize it and then dump your bucket of juice in (might need 2 fermenters) add the yeast and an airlock and let it rip. White wine is ready in about 6 months (needs at least one racking) red one should age at least a year or more.

Back