Wine Bottles?? Will that work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
Ok I'm still several weeks from bottling and kegging.
I have the Keg system on order should be here next week.

But I've realized that sharing my new brew... if it's good will be a hassle.. unless they pound down my front door.. Yeikers!

So I have lots of wine bottles lying around as I tried my hand at wine making years ago. So have the equipment for bottling wine.

So my question is can I bottle beer in them with corks to seal... Prime with sugar for carbonation... or will the carb blow the corks and make a showery mess?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Agreed, don't use wine bottles for beer. Even if you get a wire harness for champagnes around it you still could have a bottle bomb. I would keg it and then use something like this: Beer gun to bottle when you need it.

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll just cary over a pitcher for them to serve from. =)

Well maybe the neighbor's have some.. I don't normally buy beer in bottles, I prefer going to the pub and having beer off the tap, usually what ever seasonal they have or some special brew.

Fish Tale Ale's is my local brew pub and I like their beer. It's just not quite the same in a bottle.

I found these at IKEA to bottle my Mead, for $2 each... they are 1L (34oz) bottles
64633_PE174132_S4.jpg

Hummm, and unlike wine they will hold the pressure?

I could fill a couple for the neighbors... I really need to start on that second batch... it looks like the first one is almost spoken for already... DANG it goes fast!!!

Make your own beer gun and get "Budweiser" twist off bottles. You can cap the budweiser bottles with a wing capper. They are easier to get and don't have to worry about not getting them back.

Never, ever, ever buy empty bottles. Instead, buy a case or two of a beer you like and then slowly empty them.

Agreed. Some people will tell you that you cannot re cap with screw top bottles but I did it for years and only ever lost 1 here and there to a bad seal.

Back