Wine bottle starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscg4u

Reaction score
So I ordered an erlynmeyer flask, but apparently it is out of stock and won't be here until the 12th... I really don't want to wait that long to brew so I was thinking of just using a wine bottle as my starter. My big question isn't so much as if I can (I know with proper sanitation and cleaning it will be fine), my big question is how to go about sealing it, while letting out the carbon dioxide. I was think of either using seran wrap, secured with a rubber band and poke a few holes in it, or wrap it with tin foil and put some holes in that. Thoughts?

An bottle/Jar will do. I prefer glass but you can use plastic. Just soak it in your favorite sanitizer after cleaning it. Also just use sanitized foil. Bacteria and other microbes don't have legs so they can't crawl in the bottle. This also allows gas exchange to happen getting more O2 to the starter increasing your yeast growth. You will find you will get 99 people saying go the foil.

Clem

Latest posts

Back