Wine Barrel Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmobrewer

Reaction score
Want to add wine barrel aged flavor to my sour. Was curious if anyone has done this? If so what technique did you use?

I was just going to soak the cubes in wine for a week or so after boiling them. My only problem with that is, I have heard that after a while the wine will start to taste like vinegar. Is this true? If so, is there any way to avoid it? I was planning to soak them in a mason jar and fill it as completely as possible to minimize oxygen exposure and the maybe toss it in the fridge for the duration. Is this a good idea?

After soaking the cubes should I add the wine and the cubes both or just the cubes? Any tips in general would be appreciated. Thanks!

Long Response below - but here is the summary

There is no reason to soak oak in wine and add one or the other, you oak beer for a reason.
Do you want the oak taste - then add oak for the amount of time you like.
Do you want a wine taste? Add it before bottling/kegging.

-------------------------

The Alcohol will leech the tannins out of the oak and into the wine.
If you discard the wine, you are discarding the oak tannins.

I've not used wine, only Bourbon to extract the oak flavor.
The reason I did that is I wanted both Bourbon and oak flavors.
If I only wanted oak I'd directly add oak and nothing else.

If you want oak, add oak.
If you want wine flavors, then add wine directly, no reason to let it oxidize.

Add the oak for a number of days or weeks until you are satisfied with the taste.
Oak chips and spirals add oak flavor a lot faster than cubes.

Then take a small sample, say 4 ounces, use a mililiter dropper and start adding wine till you like the taste, and take note of what you did. Refill your small sample to keep it at 4 ounces along the way so the volume is constant.

Take a 5 minute break, eat something, smell something different, rinse your mouth and taste again. If you still like it, then scale up.

Back