Window 10 Thumbs down:-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
So has anyone else decided Windows 10 was not what it was all cracked up to be?

I upgraded a while back from Windows 7. Now to be honest, the problems are probably related to both of my old computers (2007 era). But I took the chance and immediately noticed the platform caused both my computers to operate at turtle speed. I thought at first it was because it maxed out my data plan and Verizon had me throttled back.

The forum was at times virtually impossible to use since it lagged forever when clicking the links. At first I was thinking it was due to the spam we were being hit with, but I begin to notice it on the other forums I use as well. I thought for sure it was Verizon.

Today, I started a new billing cycle so I was able to use my hotspot at full speed and sadly it was just as slow as before. Deciding I had enough, I reverted back to Windows 7 about 30 minutes ago and now, she's running at full speed ahead.

I suppose the new platform is a bit much for my machines and I did kinda like the new layout, but it's just not worth the frustration of a machine that takes over a minute to connect the links.

I'll be reverting my laptop back tonight. I was kinda curious if anyone else might have experienced this problem.

Ken

Windows 10 was intended to be a quick fix for all the people who hated the tablet-centered interface in 8. The upgrade brought back many of the things people liked about 7, so jumping from 7 to 10 probably doesn't make much sense, especially due to the added hardware requirements. With your 8 year old PC, I can only imagine how the new OS taxed those resources.

I have 10 on a new machine and I really like it. But if I had an older machine with 7, I would stay put.

I need to come off the wallet and just upgrade, but i'm a person of habit. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I thought the upgrade would add a few bells, but in all honesty, I didn't have a problem with 7. I'm not a gamer nor run programs which taxes the CPU. Normally just Microsoft office stuff and surfing the web.

I thought for sure it was Verizon throttling me back. Ya gotta love living in the country where there is no broadband internet. If there is one good thing about a move that I have coming up, is that I will not move into a place that does not offer it. Currently I have to use my phone or a mobile hotspot.

I never dreamed it would slow it down that much. Oh well, at least it reverted back without any problems.

I'm not sure it's fair to give a thumbs down to new software on a 9 year old platform. Windows 10 works wonderfully, and is leaps and bounds better then 8/8.1 On a current system I would rate windows 10 as nearly as good as windows 7. The only bummer is the discontinuation of media center. Which was only used by a niche group for computer based cable boxes, but I'm one of those. So my HTPC will be staying on windows 7 until it's no longer supported.

I'm not sure it's fair to give a thumbs down to new software on a 9 year old platform.

One of my medics is a computer geek and gamer and always strives to update with buying a new computer at least once a year. He is our go-to guy for anything related to this stuff. On the occasion that I'm having a problem with my computer, I can see the total frustration in his face when he has to wait more than a microsecond on a response.

I'm like, Dude, don't be knocking my old brick, just fix the dang thing already. lol

Windows 10 was intended to be a quick fix for all the people who hated the tablet-centered interface in 8. The upgrade brought back many of the things people liked about 7, so jumping from 7 to 10 probably doesn't make much sense, especially due to the added hardware requirements. With your 8 year old PC, I can only imagine how the new OS taxed those resources.

I have 10 on a new machine and I really like it. But if I had an older machine with 7, I would stay put.

I just got my 2-in-1 with windows 10, and I like it soooo much more than the disasterous 8. But I have windows 7 professional on my desktop, and I still love it. It works so great on my 1.5 year old computer. I don't see any advantage to going to windows 10 on that computer.

I'm the same way--try to squeeze as much use as possible from a computer. I stretched 7 years from a WinXP machine I bought new in 2007. I ran that OS 2 years beyond its support end date.

I'm a cheap bastard. :)

I think I have you beat- I just got rid of my XP machine one year ago. It had 512 MB of RAM, and I think I bought it in 2006 (?). I loved it, and only got rid of it finally because it was a little slow...........:) My new computer (got it in September 2014) is blazing fast, especially by comparison.

I think I have you beat- I just got rid of my XP machine one year ago. It had 512 MB of RAM, and I think I bought it in 2006 (?). I loved it, and only got rid of it finally because it was a little slow...........:) My new computer (got it in September 2014) is blazing fast, especially by comparison.

Yeah, you beat me on that one. My old desktop has 2GB RAM. Had a friend build a new one a couple months ago, with Windows 10.

I still have the old one. It has a 500GB and 750 GB HDD, and I'm tempted to load it up with music and turn it into a big "jukebox." Certainly keep it offline, as there are a ton of vulnerabilities in an OS that hasn't been supported for over 2 years.

I still have my 2004 Dell desktop running XP. I don't use it very much anymore, but it does hold all my music (as well as having a killer, house-shaking music program matching up to a 500-watt speaker system) and I have it hooked up to my scanner for when I am scanning comic books for sale.

I tried connecting it to the internet a couple years back, and it was pitiful. Now it stands alone, and my laptop (circa 2010!) is my only internet machine.

I still have my 2004 Dell desktop running XP. I don't use it very much anymore, but it does hold all my music (as well as having a killer, house-shaking music program matching up to a 500-watt speaker system) and I have it hooked up to my scanner for when I am scanning comic books for sale.

I tried connecting it to the internet a couple years back, and it was pitiful. Now it stands alone, and my laptop (circa 2010!) is my only internet machine.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Take an old PC, cram it to the hilt with tunes, install a decent music player, connect to a sound system and rock the house.

Wayyyyyyy off-topic :off:

I personally love Win10. Performance wise, it is much more robust than Win8.1 or Win7 on the same hardware. It's letting me squeeze more life out of my laptop though I must confess I have an SSD which allowed me to get this far.

For those that report worse performance, I'd bet there is something on your system to blame other than Win10.

I recently rolled back from 10 to 7. 10 caused my internet to slow down drastically. I tried every update, driver, reset various winsock things, different network cards, researched forums, the lot. Rolling back restored my internet speed instantly. I am not going to try 10 again in a hurry.

I installed something called GWX Control Panel to stop Windows from nagging me about upgrading all the time. That was annoying.

*for when you hiding from the police.

NT 4 lyfe!

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me there shouldn't be such a night/day performance difference between Win7 and Win10, strictly based on the hardware platform. I've seen 10 running on some pretty old-ish machines just fine, with one exception. My dad has an i7-based Dell that simply refuses to run with Win8.x or Win10 without crashing constantly. Dell acknowledged the issue as a hardware compatibility thing and basically said "sorry about your luck".

I'm certainly not going to complain about compatibility with legacy hardware and software on Win10. I've got some old hardware and software that I bought 3 operating systems ago, and they still work just fine in Win10, even though official support ended with Win7.

If you've got reduced network performance on Win10, try updating the mobo network driver. It's probably an Intel part. You can press the Windows button on your keyboard, type in device manager, enter, and look under Network to see what the driver version is. When I upgraded my machine to Win10, I had no network at all. I had to go to another computer, dl the driver from intel onto a usb stick, and install that way. Ripping fast now.

My upgrade to 10 was pretty messy, but I'm loving it now.

the issue with bandwidth in windows 10 is its constant auto updates and sends countless reports back to Microsoft, when you first install, it will use the Internet way too much for someone not on a land line, in the action settings, all settings, you need to go through every menu and turn every setting off you can, especially privacy

the issue with bandwidth in windows 10 is its constant auto updates and sends countless reports back to Microsoft, when you first install, it will use the Internet way too much for someone not on a land line, in the action settings, all settings, you need to go through every menu and turn every setting off you can, especially privacy

Ayup. By default it is set to p2p (bit torrent) updates. Meaning when you have the update it is still web connected to offer itself to the hive as a data source.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me there shouldn't be such a night/day performance difference between Win7 and Win10, strictly based on the hardware platform. I've seen 10 running on some pretty old-ish machines just fine, with one exception. My dad has an i7-based Dell that simply refuses to run with Win8.x or Win10 without crashing constantly. Dell acknowledged the issue as a hardware compatibility thing and basically said "sorry about your luck".

I'm certainly not going to complain about compatibility with legacy hardware and software on Win10. I've got some old hardware and software that I bought 3 operating systems ago, and they still work just fine in Win10, even though official support ended with Win7.

Yeah, one of the things Microsoft claimed they really tried with Win10 was to keep the footprint down so that the hardware requirements for Win10 were no higher than those for Win7.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article...pc-when-it-comes-to-specs-how-low-can-you-go/

I'd wager that any major slowdowns weren't inherently due to Win10, but rather to some additional confounding factor...

I just walked around our house. We have a desktop running 7 professional, a desktop running Vista, one laptop running XP (kid you not), one laptop running Vista, and my new 2-in-1 running Windows 10. And one iPhone.

Weird, but it works well and we're happy!

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my main desktop, I think I built it in 2006 and the only issue I had was a problem with it not entering the sleep mode which I was able to solver by removing some old USB drivers, other then that its been great.

I just walked around our house. We have a desktop running 7 professional, a desktop running Vista, one laptop running XP (kid you not), one laptop running Vista, and my new 2-in-1 running Windows 10. And one iPhone.

Weird, but it works well and we're happy!

I just read this over, and it sounds like I have 5 kids or something.

No, there are no people here other than Bob and I and a few visitors occasionally.

We just have a big ****ing house. I haven't walked around it lately. It's too ****ing big, that's for sure.

Pfft. I just replaced a Windows 2000 computer at work with a Windows XP machine. I tried to find out how old that computer was, but the clay tablet date plaque was too worn...

But seriously, if your Windows 7 is running fine, I see no reason to jump on 10. If your computer is new enough to have Windows 8 on it, then 10 is an improvement in several ways, especially the interface (talking desktop here...)

My nephew called me yesterday to say his friend's 10 lost the start button and some other stuff. Been gone for a while. No clue. And his friend's DAD's computer also had the same things go wrong. They upgraded because M$ placed an upgrade icon in the corner of they screen.

We'll upgrade at work, I'm sure, but probably only to replace the computers as needed, and by then it should be well tested on the brand name hardware and come from the factory ready to go.

As far as slow speeds on a random computer, that could be the thing working on updates, or simply a bad driver on the network or video or who knows what. As usual there are likely to be *some* driver problems when it first comes out.

Latest posts

Back