Wind River Brewing kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewer4

Reaction score
I have pretty much decided that I will going with the Beginners kit on windriverbrew.com. Seems very complete and have a great selection of extract kits. Just wanted to throw a couple questions out there to experienced people on this forum.

First is that the kit only comes with a siphon hose and no racking cane. Any suggestions on what kind/size racking cane should be used for brewing with buckets?

Second the extract kits include the extra step of specialty grains. Since it is my first brew I want to keep it simple but how hard could steeping some grains be?

Lastly it comes with hop pellets. Just looking for a little input on pellets and whether or not they would be recommended.

Thanks for reading my novel haha and thank you in advance for the informative answers.

I'm a new brewer but I can provide some input.

As far as racking canes, I can't help you much. My LHBS hooked me up with an auto siphon and I really like it.

Extract kits with specialty grains are the only kind I've used so far (2 kits) and I've really liked them. Steeping the grains is super easy you just have to watch your temps.

Hop pellets have been fine for me. I will likely move to whole hops when I get into AG brewing but if pellets come with the kits then pellets are what I'll use!

Auto Siphon - 1/2" racking cane. I love mine.

Racking canes normally run 24" or 30".

Pellet hops are great. And steeping grains in no harder than dunking a tea bag in hot water.

Cheers!

Wind River is a reputable supply house. I shop there often and Scott treats me well as I am sure he will treat you.

The OP asked about steeping specialty grains. There is really nothing to it and do not hold odd because of that issue. You will be fine. You will though need to have the grain crushed. Scott will crush it for you if you do not have a mill.

Gonna wake this sleepy thread!

I'm looking into the Windriver Beer Kit of the month club. It's just the type of thing I was looking for! I've used William's Kits and True Brew kits and I've found both to be okay... It seems WindRiver has a pretty decent variety so those out there that have used them what do you think? Comparable to other companies? Better? Whose are the best?

Just curious. Looking forward to feedback. :)

Back