wilserbrewer BIAB bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been using my bag for a number of years now. I keep expecting it to break, but it really has held up, even after snagging it on my thermometer as well.

Yep, echoing what everyone else has said I've tried a few different bag manufactures (not really the right word, but whatever) and wilserbrewer's bags are my favorite. I just ordered 3 more. The only way I've done any damage is catching on my thermometer and really reaming on it.

@wilserbrewer my bags have become noticeably dingy... Should I be concerned? How would you "deep clean" them?

PBW worked for me with my bags back in the day. I use a basket now just clean with hose and boil.

The Wilserbag is amazing, cheap, and the best part for me is not having to clean all the DAMN GRAIN out of the mash tun afterwards... just lift the bag, done. Lord, how I hated cleaning that mash tun.

@wilserbrewer my bags have become noticeably dingy... Should I be concerned? How would you "deep clean" them?

I have experienced the same, I tried soaking in hot oxi clean overnight, but I found the bag clean in some areas, and not in others, very splotchy looking and not pleasing at all. I have since grown to appreciate the beautiful tan patina of a well used bag, as my one washing episode was a disappointment.

I thought about an extended bleach soak to return the bag to ultra white, but sort of concluded that it wasn't worth the effort, and have grown fond of the beautiful tan color.

I also try to live by a strict rule my little brewery, if it doesn't improve the beer, or save labor, I don't bother. I don't think restoring your bag to whitey does either, so I don't bother.

Ps if your really bothered, pm me and I'll give you a helluva rate on a white one :)
Cheers!

if you do too much to these bags it thins and degrades them and makes them weak, don't ever boil them it’s even worse, all I do is run strait hose water with my pot sprayer on it in the laundry tub while rubbing the rough spots buy grabbing both sides of the bag then turn inside out, and do the same just like the old wash tub routine, no soap or bleach, the key is to wash right after you empty the grain before it dries

I have experienced the same, I tried soaking in hot oxi clean overnight, but I found the bag clean in some areas, and not in others, very splotchy looking and not pleasing at all. I have since grown to appreciate the beautiful tan patina of a well used bag, as my one washing episode was a disappointment.

I thought about an extended bleach soak to return the bag to ultra white, but sort of concluded that it wasn't worth the effort, and have grown fond of the beautiful tan color.

I also try to live by a strict rule my little brewery, if it doesn't improve the beer, or save labor, I don't bother. I don't think restoring your bag to whitey does either, so I don't bother.

Ps if your really bothered, pm me and I'll give you a helluva rate on a white one :)
Cheers!

As you may or may not remember, I have possibly 12 of your bags??? maybe more (its hard to turn away from a product you trust), one more just turned up yesterday that I hadn't seen all season lol but I'm worried about the dry hop socks... I can boil the hell out of grain bags, and the hop sock, but the dry hop sock, I'm worried that a not-bright-white sock is a dirty sock... but if your advice and the consensus is that a tan sock is as good as conditioned cast iron or pacified aluminum, okay! But I do need a new kettle bag... You'll be hearing from me soon. :rockin:

Ok, didn't realize we're talking dry hop bags here....

One could sanitize hop socks with star San, or pre boil / heat sanitize prior to use.

Fermented wort is not as vulnerable to infection as fresh wort, so perhaps rdwhahb idk.

Thank you!
wilser

Finally pulled the trigger for my 15g Megapot! Looking forward to many brews with it!

Got my bag from Wilserbrewer in the mail today.

It looks absolutely amazing.

508wg.jpg

10navef.jpg

I don't have it shown clearly in the picture, but there is plenty of space to pull the bag down the cooler, and the draw string wraps nice and tight around the perimeter.

Making Gavin C's Altbier with it this week!

I've successfully been using a nylon bag that I bought from my LHBS for about a dozen batches, but I may be in the market for a new bag now. I left out my bag full of spent grain overnight after my brew day on Saturday, and when I went to empty it I noticed that quite a few sections of the bag had runners in it. Looks like some sort of critter was trying to get into the bag - probably one of the millions of chipmunks I've seen around this year!

I could probably get by with using it for another batch, but the wort would have that much more trub in it. I've been thinking about trying wilser's bags, and I think I might pick up a grand slam before my next brew day in a few weeks!

Do it! You won't regret it.
I own 3(for 3 different pots)

Yeah...I may have to pull the trigger.

Do you or anyone else have experience with the nylon bags (mine was an LD Carlson bag) that you can get at many LHBSs? Besides having a drawstring, what kind of comparison is there between those and @wilserbrewer 's bags?

User JINKS did a photo comparison of 3 bags in post 185 of this thread including a wilserbrewer bag, an LD Carlson bag, and a paint strainer.

The wilser bag appears to be about twice as fine mesh as the LD bag with much heavier stitching at the seams. The finer weave produces clearer wort and much easier cleaning of the bag as grain bits do not get lodged in the mesh.

Advantages IMHO are:

1. Finer mesh yields clearer wort with less trub.
2. Much more durable
3. Much stronger seams for large grain bills.
4. Draw string w cord lock to fix bag on kettle while mashing, and closing drawstring during removal for less spills.
5. Custom size to fit kettle and resulting ease of use.
6. Optional pulley.

Of course a custom bag comes at a price, but long term performance may likely result in lower cost per use.

Ok, that's the end of my obviously biased report :)

Cheers and thanks,
wilser

I haven't had a chance to use my Wilser BIAB bag yet, but they're very nice quality. I might have him make me a pillow case...

I've used the dry-hop bag though. I was impressed that when I dumped a bunch of crushed up pellets in the dust etc stayed in the bag too.

User JINKS did a photo comparison of 3 bags in post 185 of this thread including a wilserbrewer bag, an LD Carlson bag, and a paint strainer.

The wilser bag appears to be about twice as fine mesh as the LD bag with much heavier stitching at the seams. The finer weave produces clearer wort and much easier cleaning of the bag as grain bits do not get lodged in the mesh.

Advantages IMHO are:

2. Much more durable
4. Draw string w cord lock to fix bag on kettle while mashing, and closing drawstring during removal for less spills.
6. Optional pulley.

Of course a custom bag comes at a price, but long term performance may likely result in lower cost per use.

Cheers and thanks,
wilser

Thanks, wilser. I'll have a look at that post.

As I mentioned above, I'll probably be hitting you up for a Grand Slam pretty soon. I'll be out of town for the next couple weeks and will be brewing not long after I come back, so I'll probably measure everything before I go and place my order just before I get home.

Just wanted to take the time to share my awesome experience with Wilserbrewer already.

Ordered just a single bag this morning and filled out the bag size in the comments as asked. I also requested "special" shipping instructions as far as what date to not have it arrive on due to being out of town unless it was USPS. I had a reply email to the order in less than 30 minutes telling me it would be shipped out later today 1st Class. I can't wait to use this bag that I've read such good things about and the customer service is 1st Class too! Highly recommended.

I have about 3 batches in my wilserbag since going back to biab. It is indeed worth it. I 1st tried making my own (epic fail), ordered 1 on line (the stitching failed after 5 batches). This bag is much better.

Advantages IMHO are:

2. Much more durable
6. Optional pulley.

Cheers and thanks,
wilser

Thanks, wilser. I'll have a look at that post.

As I mentioned above, I'll probably be hitting you up for a Grand Slam pretty soon. I'll be out of town for the next couple weeks and will be brewing not long after I come back, so I'll probably measure everything before I go and place my order just before I get home.

Order just placed. Not sure if you got the measurements you needed, but let me know if you didn't and I'll get on it!

Order just placed. Not sure if you got the measurements you needed, but let me know if you didn't and I'll get on it!

Grand Slam received in two days. Bags look great - so much heftier than the LD Carlson ones. Really...it's not even close!

Thanks, @wilserbrewer. Looking forward to giving these a spin on my next batch (likely next weekend)!

Edit: Just went through the whole package and wilser added an extra bag for me! It's like a smaller version of the BIAB bag that would make a good hop boil bag. I have a couple hop bags already, but they're just too small to handle large boil additions, plus the opening size and drawstring make it really difficult to add hops at different times without burning your fingers. The more I look at this bag, the more impressed I am!

Awesome stuff, @wilserbrewer!

Just did my first BIAB with it yesterday and it was fantastic. After cleaning it looks brand new still and the draw string is an awesome feature.

I did my first brew this week with the bag. I used the pulley as well. Worked fantastic! So much better than the bag I had!

2015-10-20 21.36.04.jpg

2015-10-20 21.35.54.jpg

Anyone having issues with kettle thermometer probes poking holes through these bags? I just installed one in the side of my kettle and haven't used it yet but had this concern with a lot of grain in there.

The probe should not be an issue under normal use. Before attempting to lift the bag, push it clear of the probe with your spoon or paddle, and the raise the bag out the opposite side of the kettle.

I have repaired a couple bags where the brewer neglects the above advice, snags the bag on the probe, then enlists a couple friends to try and tug and grunt the bag out of the kettle. Even with a huge grain bill, the bag should easily rise to the top of the wort surface.

A good stir prior to bag removal might not be a bad idea either, so the grain bed is not packed tight around the probe. When I remove a bag, I gather the bag, and slowly lift while letting it drain, and raise the grain ball to the surface, and then slowly hoist it out.

Just be aware that's it's there and steer clear when removing the bag and you shouldn't have a problem. The bags are quite strong and typically only damaged by abuse.

I used it for first time my bag yesterday !:mug:

It was a great experience, cleaner beer, and saved a lot of time.

Last edited:
I'm probably going to order up the kit around December 6-10 after I run the California International Marathon so I can get some brewing done. I'll probably ruin my current $8 bag by that point and I've been gun shy on buying the kit for way to long.

Question, if I have some rough edges on my keggle AND my keg is the Coors style with the belly bump what would be the best measurement to provide as keg dimensions?

I meant to respond after using my bag last weekend, but I got my post started and never finished it.

Basically, the bag was fantastic. It fit my kettle like a glove, and the drawstring was a nice touch to secure the bag without having to use a bungee. It's also a much finer mesh, so I didn't have nearly the amount of trub in the wort as I did with the LD Carlson bag. Straining/squeezing took a little longer because of this, but it didn't significantly affect my brew day.

The hop bag was the one thing that simplified my brew day more than anything - no more fussing with trying to get hops into the narrow neck of a fairly small hop bag without burning the ever-living hell out of my fingers!

Awesome product, @wilserbrewer! Looking forward to eventually getting the pulley hooked up and not worrying about the colander and extra kettle to lay it on!

I used my new bag for the first time yesterday and it was great. My MT is a square cooler and what really amazed me is how easy it was to clean up. All the grains came out with little or no effort. I wish I had ordered some hop bags to replace my old ones but I will do that next time.

How are people cleaning the bag? I was debating a quick wash with my hop bags but wasn't sure how the toggle might handle that. It almost looks like it doesn't even need a wash.

I just rinse and hang to dry. About every 5 or 6 brews I soak in Oxy, rinse and then dry. Same with the hop sock.

Yup - turn inside out and rinse well, then let it hang dry. Once dry, shake off the remaining grains and store until your next brewday.

Back