wilserbrewer BIAB bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 20gallon kettle size wilser bag. Any one ever try hoisting it up with 55 pound grain bill plus what ever the liquid absorbed weight is??? I am guessing it would be over 60 pounds. Wilser is the only one I would attempt this feat with but I am still in a little un sure

I have the 20gallon kettle size wilser bag. Any one ever try hoisting it up with 55 pound grain bill plus what ever the liquid absorbed weight is??? I am guessing it would be over 60 pounds. Wilser is the only one I would attempt this feat with but I am still in a little un sure
Has anyone used multiple bags, in order to reduce the weight of each lift? Would this even work?

I’m not concerned with the bag...285 lb grain bill here...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/145-gallon-biab-yes-145-gallon.483965/page-2

What pulley hoist are you using?
If you ave the 1/4” double pulley I think you will be close to the upper limit.

If you have a helping hand, the helper can lift up on the bag while you work the hoist. Without a helper best method would be to raise the bag with your dominant hand, and pull down with the pulley hoist with your other hand. Don’t expect this to be a rapid process, raise the bag slowly a click or two at a time allowing it to drain as it comes up and out of the kettle.

A four part rope hoist from HF is inexpensive ...
https://m.harborfreight.com/gambrel-and-pulley-hoist-99758.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

Or a one ton chain hoist $30
https://m.samsclub.com/ip/1-ton-cha...FiUz1HAJJnkgZEeN6rhwwqOq9SVOKVRsaAtTTEALw_wcB

What is your concern specifically?

What is the largest grain bill you have done to date?

Last edited:

I have a wilser bag for my 20 gallon SS Brewtech kettle. I’ve done a few 10 gallon batches (easily 14-15 gallons preboil) without any issues or concerns. I don’t recall what the grain bill was before the water absorption but I wouldn’t be concerned with 60 lbs in mine.

Just my two cents. Brew on!

if the concern is the excessive weight, why not hoist the bag only part way out, let it drain a few minutes, hoist a few more inches and wait? then fully pull the bag when the bulk of the wort has drained?

These bags work great for brewing. I've also repurposed the one from my old kettle for making soup stock!

I put a small lift in the bottom of the pot so that the bag wouldn't touch the bottom while the flame was on, filled the bag with all the goodies for stock that are normally a pain to separate from the liquid, filled with water, and simmered on the stove all day. I was able to just pull the bag to separate the bones and spent veggies.
I drained the bag in a big bowl with some gentle squeezing when it was cool. After dumping it, it required much more cleaning than is necessary for beer, but wasn't difficult. I washed it good then soaked it in a dilute bleach solution.

This procedure using the BIAB bag for soup strangely reminds me of a recipe in Papazian’s book, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing called, Ye Olde Cock Ale,

I will post the link below for those w/ strong stomachs. :)

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/ye-olde-cock-ale/

These bags work great for brewing. I've also repurposed the one from my old kettle for making soup stock!

I put a small lift in the bottom of the pot so that the bag wouldn't touch the bottom while the flame was on, filled the bag with all the goodies for stock that are normally a pain to separate from the liquid, filled with water, and simmered on the stove all day. I was able to just pull the bag to separate the bones and spent veggies.
I drained the bag in a big bowl with some gentle squeezing when it was cool. After dumping it, it required much more cleaning than is necessary for beer, but wasn't difficult. I washed it good then soaked it in a dilute bleach solution.

My Wilserbrewer bag has a great patina to it now
Bought the slam a few years back and still love it
The pulley is da bomb, no slippage at all

The only problem with wilserbrewer bags is he makes them too good!! I don't really remember how long ago I bought a couple.... they are still in great shape after many-many brews.

Totally agree. Only reason I ever had to replace mine was when I got lazy and didn't clean it out right away...Probably could have salvaged it but didn't think it was worth the risk. Love the bags!

Second this. The only issue I've ever had with mine was user error. On my eBIAB system, my false bottom wasn't high enough above my element, so where the bag was touching the false bottom basically got a couple of little pinholes burned in it. Fixed that issue, fiancee sewed the holes up and they're still hanging tough 3 years later.

I've done probably ~40lbs of grain in 8ish gallons of water with my keggle bag, and it help up just fine! This was for a 10G RIS where I dunk-sparged the rest of the mash.

I've owned 3 Wilser bags over the years. The first I nearly destroyed on my own when it snagged while hoisting it out of my keggle. I can still use it but I had to sew about a 6 in long repair into it which looks like something Igor would have created while on a hangover.

Later I took advantage of a 2 for 1 deal for my 2nd and 3rd bags, getting them in 2 sizes--one for the keggle to replace the frankenstein-repaired one and another to fit in my mash cooler. All 3 have the same high quality and I would buy one again if need be.

I also bought the double hoist since I brew 10 gallon batches and lift 25+ lbs of wet grain. It works great too.

Got mine a couple weeks ago snd they look fantastic. My false bottom is delayed till next month. Anyone using in electric system? I’m wondering if there’s an issue with bag resting on the heating element a little. Power % can be reduced with controller, but not sure if it’ll be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine a couple weeks ago snd they look fantastic. My false bottom is delayed till next month. Anyone using in electric system? I’m wondering if there’s an issue with bag resting on the heating element a little. Power % can be reduced with controller, but not sure if it’ll be ok.

If its a ULWD element, its likely okay, if not , I'm not sure I would risk it. Safer to just wrap the kettle in beach towels or old blankets.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've found that my ulwd ripple element does alright for maintaining temps with the bag I have made. IIRC I burned through one trying to do a step mash, and now I just set to manual mode and 20-25% power to make my steps to keep it from firing too hot when I'm making a big step.

I have a question about recirculating. When I've made my own bags, I try to make them larger at the top and then narrower so they don't stick to the kettle sides. This helps with recirc a lot IME. I got the material many years ago and I don't recall much other than it was curtain material. How do these do with recirculating? I sometimes have issues.

I have a question about recirculating. When I've made my own bags, I try to make them larger at the top and then narrower so they don't stick to the kettle sides. This helps with recirc a lot IME. I got the material many years ago and I don't recall much other than it was curtain material. How do these do with recirculating? I sometimes have issues.
i don't BIAB very often but i did a small batch with >9lbs of grain which went very well and recirculated fine. i'd say recirc was also fine when i did a 5gal brew with 13lbs but i had a problem with weight of grain around the element causing hot spots. I kept having to stir it.

I ordered the Grand Slam package earlier today, and was amazed and gratified by an email back in about 20 seconds saying it had shipped! I MIAB, not BIAB, and I've gone through three bags in the last 6 months; my original bag, which was handmade for my former brewboss (but still good friend), finally got a couple of snaggy holes that let too much grain through; I've been using it for over 4 years. Tried two more bags from LHBS and first was too flimsy, second (specifically made for BIAB) is coming apart by one of the straps. I've been considering going full BIAB for a while, and now I'll have the means to do it. Will revert back when they arrive. Thanks Wilser!!

And further to the above, package is already at the regional USPS center and expected to arrive my abode on Wednesday. THAT is some amazing service.

Count me as another very satisfied customer.
Ordered on Thursday, got email confirming and telling me it would be shipped the next day. Delivered Monday- all this the week preceding Christmas (I wasn't expecting it this quickly).
Thanks again for the great service!

My bags & pulley arrived on Monday; exactly 2 days after ordering. Bag is everything I wanted, and tonight I got the hook installed in the rafter for the pulley system. Beyond stoked to brew my very first BIAB batch tomorrow! I've been using a 3-vessel system for 4 years now, but always like to try something new; especially something that allows me to complete a brewday in less than 4 hours start to finish.

The only thing I would suggest, is a longer rope option for those with higher suspension points. I had some rope on hand so I could extend it to the point where I don't have to use a stepstool to grab the end; also, I'm short (5'2").

Back