Williams Brewing Hop Spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
Some people just way over charge for the same things! Try Ali express they have some killer deals on brewing items too but the shipping just takes a little while. Also a point to consider I have to contain my hops as well since I have a plate chiller but use a wilser hop bag (voile/mesh material). I'm able to squeeze all the hop juice out of it when I'm ready to chill and I think that's what a lot of people don't do. This gives me all the hop goodness!

I am a big fan of aliexpress,

buy the one from your local hbs or Williams brewing. those are good prices and you are not going to beat under 40 (adding in shipping) for a product that someone will stand behind. (I don't see it fully making it here from china, unless you can find a "ships from the us" seller.

and pick up a complete ultimate growler as well, great price (on sale).

Dang you weren't kidding about aliexpress I'll have to start looking on there. Thanks for the recommendations I'll just order from Williams. I have an electric setup so I wasn't so keen on risking burning up a bag

Make sure it fits your kettle. Basket depth and height of the hanging bracket/tabs are important.

I've been using fine mesh nylon hop bags to contain the hops, and have been eyeing up those baskets for a while now. ArborFab makes a lot of different fits, similar ones around the $60-75 mark. I'm thinking 400 micron may give better liquid exchange through the mesh, rather than 300 micron, while still trapping most hop pulp that clogs the plate chiller. Hot break seems to plug up the finer baskets' pores.

Hey guys I'm looking to get a stainless hop spider for my setup, but am wondering why the hop spider from Williams Brewing is half the price than anywhere else which what looks like the same dimensions and everything. Anyone have any experience with this one? I have a keggle setup btw.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/HOP-SPIDER-FOR-KEGGLE-GRAINFATHER-P4030.aspx

http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainles...UVSb4DQsIE7KITCzkX4dBGNpw0dcQKzdl1xoCQ7Hw_wcB

These two really aren't the same size. The Williams is 14" long, and 4" wide at the base, and 6" wide at the top. The other is 6 X 14 top to bottom so it will hold more. And 400 micron would be a better choice.

I'm thinking 400 micron may give better liquid exchange through the mesh, rather than 300 micron, while still trapping most hop pulp that clogs the plate chiller. Hot break seems to plug up the finer baskets' pores.

Yep, 400 micron for pellet hops..

Make sure it fits your kettle. Basket depth and height of the hanging bracket/tabs are important.

I've been using fine mesh nylon hop bags to contain the hops, and have been eyeing up those baskets for a while now. ArborFab makes a lot of different fits, similar ones around the $60-75 mark. I'm thinking 400 micron may give better liquid exchange through the mesh, rather than 300 micron, while still trapping most hop pulp that clogs the plate chiller. Hot break seems to plug up the finer baskets' pores.

IMO, if I were to order one of these, I'd custom make it for the ID of my kettle. I made one of the for my 25g kettle. I would definitely go w 400 micron. Mine is 30x30 mesh. If it is too fine it clogs. If it is the ID of the kettle you will get much better utilization. Mine is 10" in diameter and the boil doesn't flow through it as well as it could. Just my $.02

IMO, if I were to order one of these, I'd custom make it for the ID of my kettle. I made one of the for my 25g kettle. I would definitely go w 400 micron. Mine is 30x30 mesh. If it is too fine it clogs. If it is the ID of the kettle you will get much better utilization. Mine is 10" in diameter and the boil doesn't flow through it as well as it could. Just my $.02

Careful, a full fitting basket will cause boiling wort surges along the sides. The wort inside the basket never boils, it's between 205F and 209F at the most.

Huh I thought I read somewhere that 400 was for whole hops and 300 was for pellets. I'll have to look into the 400 micron ones. I have a 15 gal converted keg

i've read the same thing. kyle.

i'm going to pick up a 300 micron one for pellets. if my utilization goes down, then maybe start looking at a 400

Huh I thought I read somewhere that 400 was for whole hops and 300 was for pellets. I'll have to look into the 400 micron ones. I have a 15 gal converted keg

The mesh basket design is currently being made of a #40 (400 micron) stainless steel mesh. We've been using this mesh to meet both straining capabilities while not losing hop utilization. After 2 years and hundreds sold, this seems to be the best size to meet both needs. You will still get pellet hop material through these strainers but there is a significant difference. No need to worry about clogged dip tubes and plate chillers with these.

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Hop-Spider-with-seam-welds_p_158.html

Guess it just depends on who your asking.

In general, pellet hops work best with 300 micron and whole leaf hops work best with 400 micron. In rare circumstances, some pellet hops manufacturers may grind their hops courser,than others which can build up on a 300 micron screen quicker than other pellet hops, but in general 300 micron works best with pellet hops.

https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php

Hey guys I'm looking to get a stainless hop spider for my setup, but am wondering why the hop spider from Williams Brewing is half the price than anywhere else which what looks like the same dimensions and everything. Anyone have any experience with this one? I have a keggle setup btw.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/HOP-SPIDER-FOR-KEGGLE-GRAINFATHER-P4030.aspx

http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainles...UVSb4DQsIE7KITCzkX4dBGNpw0dcQKzdl1xoCQ7Hw_wcB

The ones williams brewing sells are the same tapered chinese made ones on aliexpress for about the same price... you can also get the larger non taped 6" x14" ones for under $30 each with shipping if you look hard enough.

I have a 300 mesh one from arbor (paid $80 for it before everyone copied them and brought the price down) it works well for pellets. I also have the smaller arbor one but dont recommend it as it clogs too quickly with too little surface area.

I am a big fan of aliexpress,

buy the one from your local hbs or Williams brewing. those are good prices and you are not going to beat under 40 (adding in shipping) for a product that someone will stand behind. (I don't see it fully making it here from china, unless you can find a "ships from the us" seller.

and pick up a complete ultimate growler as well, great price (on sale).
Ive ordered a bunch of stuff from aliexpress including dry hopping baskets that are more delicate than these for much less than williams charges for the same chinese goods with thier markup... heres the same hopspider for $26 including shipping..https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot...lgo_pvid=2b09ac87-2506-4575-adc4-68ce57469e9c (this one is better than the one williams offers for $28 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/13-...lgo_pvid=2b09ac87-2506-4575-adc4-68ce57469e9c)
thats like 35-40% less when you factor shipping from a middleman.
When it comes to generic chinese goods (or even the name brand chinese good like kegking and intertap) I would rather get it from the source for less vs middleman myself but its just another way of looking at it... I bought my flow control stainless intertap faucets on ali for $32 each including shipping... that's half what Williams wanted without shipping.. same retail packaging and all.

I'm not talking about knock offs vs the original here... If I was I would be recommending the $80 american made arbor fabrication made one I have since all the rest are knock off copies in reality, but thats how capitalism works and the prices come down. williams doesnt have to be the cheapest.. im sure many people prefer their customer service and dont mind the markups to support it... thats just not me for something like a screen basket from the same supplier.

I agree. pricewise, sure, seems like a no brainer.

I order a lot from ali. Some of it packed nicely, some of it not so nicely.

if yours made it safe, then why not give it a shot, for the price savings it may be worth the risk of damage in shipping.

Latest posts

Back