Williams Brewing Controller III

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ram5ey

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of the Williams Brewing Controller III for fermentation temp control? I currently use a Johnson A419 with a chest freezer but find that it over shoots temp pretty drastically at times and was wondering if the 50% duty cycle on this unit could help with that. It doesn't have any reviews so I'm asking any of you brewers about it.

Are you using a thermowell? When I attach the probe to the outside of my fermentor with some insulation it works great!

I insulate the probe and wrap it to the side if the fermentor.

It shouldn't be over shooting then. That is what I do. Do you have your diff set to more than one? I have mine set to cut in at set point with a 1 diff and set it to one degree above what I want and it maintains that temp very well.

Shouldn't and does are entirely different things. If you search "johnson temperature control way too cold" you will find plenty of people saying the same thing. The issue is that since the feeder is so powerful that once it hits its temperature and shuts off the thing continues to chill in its insulated environment. It seems to happen to a lot of people.

Back