Willhi v. Inkbird Humidistats; analog hygrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a box DIY Wilhi humidity controller I built many years ago. It is working, but it seems to be creeping much more than it should and every now and then I'm getting really goofy RH readouts (when compared to 2 backup Meades in there, both of which comport pretty well). I need to calibrate about 10 points anymore and even then, I'm a couple points shy of the calibration backups.

I'm looking at both the Inkbird and Willhi humidity controllers, roughly about the same price. I blew it on my DIY when I hard wired the sensor i place. I like pulling the sensor like an audiojack on the Willhi (Think Inkbird does the same thing)?

This is a high RH environment. All the cheeses I make are frm 93-98% RH. I think my current sensor has been saturated and may have given up the ghost.

Any preference between these two makes? For me, accuracy and durability would be a hopeful thing.

Secondly, and recommendations on a reliable analog, as calibration check against the digitals?

FWIW, I went with the Inkbird. My DIY Willhi's sensor died overnight and I woke to a completely saturated environment. Swings between 82-99%, won't do for cheese. I should have built the sensor, but this was built years ago and I truly knew nothing (like now, lol).

So, I just hope there's sensor life in a really trying environment of 49-54F, 92-96% RH.

Back