How Accurate is Inkbird Hygrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickass

Reaction score
I just completed my curing chamber and I’m noticing fairly big inconsistencies across 3 separate hygrometers. I have my inkbird controller set at 75%rh which, according to it, it’s holding. I’ve add 2 La Crosse portable units that report back to a central display which are showing 60-62%rh. Finally I put my cigar humidor hygrometer in there and it’s reading 68-70%rh.

How accurate are the Inkbird controllers?

Is there an easy and accurate way to measure humidity so I can calibrate my controller?

Attachments

• 5E4FA100-72CD-4B1B-8A8B-613D7359894A.jpeg
    5E4FA100-72CD-4B1B-8A8B-613D7359894A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 45410C2A-4C29-4B9F-B7C3-698A5723A51F.jpeg
    45410C2A-4C29-4B9F-B7C3-698A5723A51F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
I have one that I use to control a humidifier in my music room. It's the best humidity tool I have, so I don't have a secondary means of validating its accuracy or calibrating it. I guess that is a way of saying I have no idea how accurate it is, but it appears to be the best affordable option so I just trust it. Not too helpful, sorry! :)

You can use reference saturated salts as a direct calibration source. I used this to solve the discrepancy between my inkbird controller and ecowitt monitoring device (as well as a failed batch of dry cured meat. Use a small container with a few tablespoons of salt (NaCL) and have that saturated / damp with water. Close up and check in a few hours. It should read 75% My inkbird was reading 9% low. I now take that into account when setting the desired humidity level and the last several batches of meat have turned out great. So the attached doc for instructions on calibration and building a low budget drying chamber. I put this together for the Cured Meats: Charcuterie facebook group. For the recent successes since the calibration: Emptying the Drying Chamber – Mark Bronkalla

Attachments

• Low_budget_drying_chamber.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back