Will Twinkies survive the end of the world?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarr21

Reaction score
I want to make a Russian Imperial Stout... in which I want to put a twinkie in the mash. With the end of the world coming I need my beer to push through. Any one ever tried anything like this? (twinkie in the mash that is)

I was going to say - Wrong forum.

IMHO - way too many preservatives .Yeaties won't do well .They would have a better chance w/o the Twinkies.

LOL no I haven't, and never heard of it. I think it'll work fine though. The fats from the twinkie might affect head retention and the preservatives could affect yeast reproduction in great quantities but I don't think 1 twinkie in the mash will be enough to adversely affect it.

Soooo whats the rest of the grain bill for this brew? I've gotta know

Wow never would of expected so many responses so quick. No hadn't thought of the bourbon sounds interesting though, was thinking 1 Twinkie in the mash of a 12 gal batch. Can't be enough of anything in the Twinkie to affect much right? If so maybe I'll just serve it with twinkies it was more of a gimmick than anything else.

Will what the 3 oz of 1 Twinkie affect a 20+ lb. grain bill?

Hopper450 said:
Why not a snowball or ding dong while you're at it? Lol

The snow ball would just melt duh. I guess he could STIR the mash with his ding dong, but that would hurt.

Your beer alone would last longer without the twinkie.

Twinkies go bad... anything with animal product does.

Scoop the filling out of the Twinkie, mix it with some stout and re-inject the filling. Stout Twinkies !

Let us know how it turns out.

bbarr21 said:
Will what the 3 oz of 1 Twinkie affect a 20+ lb. grain bill?

Using a bunch of other adjuncts? 20 lbs of grain sounds like a 5 gal batch of RIS, not 12 gal.

Revvy made a brown ale with gingersnaps once:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ginger-snap-brown-ale-212313/
Regards, GF.

I've found that, despite what folks say about fats and head retention issues, that if you put whatever you're conderned about in the mash tun those oils tend to get absorbed by the grain, don't affect the final product. I've mashed with chocolate in the tun, and even used instant mexican hot chocolate as my mash liquor, and the beers had plenty of head.

Same with tortilla chips in my cream ale.

I don't think putting your ding dong in the boil will lend much to the product. Might want to put your ding dong in the secondary. dry donging is the way to go.

Apocalypse Ale
13-F Russian Imperial Stout
Author: Brian Barr
Date: 1/28/12

Size: 10.0*gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 345.17*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.102 (1.075 - 1.115)
Terminal Gravity: 1.026 (1.018 - 1.030)
Color: 38.42 (30.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 10.22% (8.0% - 12.0%)
Bitterness: 63.2 (50.0 - 90.0)

Ingredients:
30.0*lb 2-Row Brewers Malt (Organic)
4.0*lb Crystal Malt 120°L
1.0*lb English Brown Malt
2.5*lb Roasted Barley
1.0*lb English Chocolate Malt
1.5*lb Biscuit Malt
2.0*oz Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0*m
2.0*oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0*m
2.0*oz Hallertau (6.2%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0*m
2.0*ea WYeast 1450 Denny’s Favorite 50

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0*°F
Source Water: 60.0*°F
Elevation: 0.0*m

Notes
Twinkee in mash

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.20

If you're worried about the yeast being affected by the preservatives, you could dry-Twinkie it in secondary or a keg.

How many Twinkies would fit in a Randall?

Holy crap!
I'm Rollin just reading some if the responses. We need more threads like this to lighten up the day :) much better than "is my beer ruined"? Or maybe i've just had too much brew while brewing my strong scotch ale? Who knows
:drunk:

I really don't get the point of the twinkie in the mash though? It's not like you're making a twinkie flavored ale. 1 twinkie won't contribute anything to the beer. Maybe a whole box would.

But just adding one sounds more like a marketing thing than making a real beer with them...Kinda like "Triple hopped" or "cold brewed."

I don't even get the "oh wow, cool" responses to this. It's not all that original. Look at the stuff done for the iron brewer competition, or some of the experiemental recipes on here, both mine and others.

If you're going to do something like this then go all out and do it. Calculate how much sugar is in a pound of them, then work a recipe around it's contribution to the whole beer.

Don't just put one measly twinkie in a beer, and think you're hot ****. Because it's really not.

Do something like a caramel cream ale with a box or two of twinkies then we're talking.

I respectfully disagree, Revvy. Brewers aren't all going to jump off a cliff and go super extreme at once. The beauty of homebrewing is that we can experiment as much or as little as we want. For you to belittle other posters because they haven't gone as extreme as you prefer is quite frankly a d!ck move.

I respectfully disagree, Revvy. Brewers aren't all going to jump off a cliff and go super extreme at once. The beauty of homebrewing is that we can experiment as much or as little as we want. For you to belittle other posters because they haven't gone as extreme as you prefer is quite frankly a d!ck move.

I'm not belittling, I'm asking what the brewer's intent for the twinky is....to do anything, or just to say, "hey I put a twinky in my mash tun" but everyone is jumping around like 1 twinkie is going to do anything to a beer, especially a dark beer, in a 5 gallon batch, and like it's the greatest experiment in brewing.

Seriously, It's not going to do a thing. It's not going to show up in the taste of the product, and it's probably going to contribute about as much to the beer as 5 ounces of priming sugar.SO if that's the case what's the "experiment" or what is the point?

Adding one twinkie is a gimmick...Like I said, no different than calling a beer triple hopped, or putting it in a vortex bottle...If he really wants to make something interesting, then he should have it contribute to the beer.

I really don't get the point of the twinkie in the mash though? It's not like you're making a twinkie flavored ale. 1 twinkie won't contribute anything to the beer. Maybe a whole box would.

But just adding one sounds more like a marketing thing than making a real beer with them...Kinda like "Triple hopped" or "cold brewed."

I don't even get the "oh wow, cool" responses to this. It's not all that original. Look at the stuff done for the iron brewer competition, or some of the experiemental recipes on here, both mine and others.

If you're going to do something like this then go all out and do it. Calculate how much sugar is in a pound of them, then work a recipe around it's contribution to the whole beer.

Don't just put one measly twinkie in a beer, and think you're hot ****. Because it's really not.

Do something like a caramel cream ale with a box or two of twinkies then we're talking.

Who the heck has a jar of fifty year old honey I could have?
:whistling and looking innocent icon:

Who the heck has a jar of fifty year old honey I could have?
:whistling and looking innocent icon:

Yeah, and it was worked in the recipe, it contributed to the overall flavor of the beer, it was factored into the overall final product....Enough of it was used to HOPEFULLY be noticed in the beer. And all hopping and everything else was balanced to accomodate ALL the ingredients.

REMNANTS OF MY FIRST ALL-GRAIN

ANOTHER HALF-CRAZED IDEA

I'm waiting for my next visit from the muse.

:drunk:

Yeah, and it was worked in the recipe, it contributed to the overall flavor of the beer, it was factored into the overall final product....Enough of it was used to HOPEFULLY be noticed in the beer. And all hopping and everything else was balanced to accomodate ALL the ingredients.

Yeah, I was agreeing ....Have you got another jar I could beg, borrow, or steal?

beerhumor.png

:D

Yeah, I was agreeing ....Have you got another jar I could beg borrow or steal?

:D

No an unfortunately my friend's mother passed away in Ohio, since then and I think they sold the house. I haven't talked to my friend in awhile, so I don't know if he claimed any honey if there was any left.

But, I think, you could get the same effect by boiling down a lot of honey until it is black, like in the brochet we made.

Man this thread really went off base. It was a light hearted idea amidst frantic worrisome threads. GUESS WHAT?!?! I'm putting a Twinkie in my beer! The point of being able to say it is the only reason I'm doing it! Yes triple hopped, cold brewed... Call me a sellout like the big boys I don't care what you think Revvy it's home brewing it's far less serious than you're taking it some of us just like to do it because it is fun. Im in no way trying to market this idea I just want to brew it for my friends as a joke with the up coming "end of the world"

I want to make a Russian Imperial Stout... in which I want to put a twinkie in the mash. With the end of the world coming I need my beer to push through. Any one ever tried anything like this? (twinkie in the mash that is)

I like to FWS (First Wort Snack) mine. I have a Ding-Dong stout going right now.

Definitely, never try dry donging and hohoing at the same time, or your beer will develop a rash.

You could always dig the cream filling out of the twinky and smother it on your dingdong to cure the rash...

Back